Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Opinions please

After much internal debate and research I am thinking of getting an 80mm refractor for travel use as well as for use on the skywatcher star discovery goto mount which I will use primarily for double stars and open clusters when at home. After a fair bit of research I am thinking that the Altair Astro 80 ED-R is going to be my choice. Can anyone who has one of these scopes give me feedback about how good or bad they are? If I wasn't travelling I'd probably go with the skywatcher but I think the OTA length is just a bit too long to fit in cabin baggage. If anyone has the skywatcher ed80 can you tell me the OTA length with dew shield retracted. 

Many Thanks

Steve 

On 29 June 2018 at 17:51, Trikeflyer said:

After much internal debate and research I am thinking of getting an 80mm refractor for travel use as well as for use on the skywatcher star discovery goto mount which I will use primarily for double stars and open clusters when at home. After a fair bit of research I am thinking that the Altair Astro 80 ED-R is going to be my choice. Can anyone who has one of these scopes give me feedback about how good or bad they are? If I wasn't travelling I'd probably go with the skywatcher but I think the OTA length is just a bit too long to fit in cabin baggage. If anyone has the skywatcher ed80 can you tell me the OTA length with dew shield retracted. 

Many Thanks

Steve 

I am also thinking of getting a star discovery mount for use with one of my lighter scopes, let us know how you get on with the mount, perhaps post a review? ?

52 minutes ago, RobertI said:

I am also thinking of getting a star discovery mount for use with one of my lighter scopes, let us know how you get on with the mount, perhaps post a review? ?

Will do.  I got one of the very last ones with the handset control. They are now apparently discontinued by Skywatcher in favour of the wifi version.  I didn't want the wifi version because the SynScan wifi database is very light on double stars and that is going to be one of my main reasons for using the mount.  If you are going to get the handset version I think Telescope house might have one left and that might be about it based on the emails I sent. If you're not bothered about the handset then you'll be able to get one no problem.  

Steve 

I have the Altair 70mm as a travel scope and the SWSA to put it on. 

I'm very happy with the scope. I have three AS Grace and all have good optics

I've been using me SWSA a lot this week and even with just a compass and inclinometer alignment of tracks incredibly well.

The 80 mms should give extra light grab. But it might take the payload to the limit of the SWSA 

36 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

My new Bresser ar 102 xs is a very nice size and weight to go on travels. 

ar102xsf.jpg

Looks like a solid nice looking scope.  I pushed the button earlier on the Altair Astro 80mm ED, should be here in the next couple of days. Now I need a good short focal length eyepiece! 

Archived