NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Small Planetary Nebulae - Cat's Eye and Blue Snowball

vincentnm

Dear All,

Imaged these unguided on 12th October with Celestron 9.25, modded Canon 350D, CLS filter.

These are really tiny targets. They were no larger than bloated stars when the entire image was viewed fitted-to-screen.

Blue Snowball nebula - 10s X 87 Subs @ 800 ISO

Cat's eye nebula - 5s X 112 Subs @ 800 ISO

Tried to stack in DSS, but it turned out to be a disaster. Gave a shot at Registax and it worked like a dream. Registax more suitable for smaller objects? / Lesser stars?

Histogram streach in PS.

Full moon on the other side of the sky. Did not create too much of a problem since these nebulae are inherently bright objects. Does the CLS help to filter moonlight or just city lights?

Thanks,

Vincent.

9366_large.jpeg

9370_large.jpeg

Very nice Vincent. I've never thought of stacking subs in Registax. Mind you, you had a lot to go at! I've been put off imaging those small nebs because of their size but you have done a good job there. I might give them a go.

"Does the CLS help to filter moonlight or just city lights?"

It does help with moonlight when imaging emission nebulae like these, as moonlight is a reflected solar continuum, so is relatively suppressed by the CLS as against the emission lines (mainly OIII and H alpha) which it is designed to transmit. Other LPR filters are similar. I had good results with the Orion Skyglow filter last night on M42 in a very moonlit sky.

Excellent work on these tiny objects.

David

Archived