Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Would appreciate some advice Skywatcher BK1309 EQ2 telescope (newbie)

Hello everyone, thanks for reading this.

I've recently bought the above telescope for my son- it's a great telescope and last night we got some great views of the moon but I think what we actually might need is something that's a little easier to use- i.e. with this telescope we struggled for ages to actually find the moon!

Could we, for example, replace the EQ2 mount with something else thats a bit more point and view? Or do we need to replace the telescope? When we can find something it looks brilliant but it's the actual finding that's so difficult. We've also thought about buying something that allows us to enter coordinates and for it to auto find (to get us started)....are they any good?

Sorry- lots of questions but the main one is that we cannot seem to work with the eq2 mount so is it possible to keep the telescope and change the mount to something that's a little more point and shoot and, if so, could you recommend something?

Thanks in advance, would be very grateful for any advice. As you can no doubt tell, we are total newbies but very keen!

I assume it's this telescope:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Skywatcher-Bk-1309-Eq2-Reflector-Telescope/1605448595

How are you getting on with the red dot finder?  Have you worked out how to use it yet?  It needs to be aligned with the telescope.  If you haven't got it working remove it if possible and switch it on (little turney knob on the side it should click on - remove any tab that might be protecting the battery first if its brand new).  What happens is a red dot is projected onto the little pink screen when it viewed from behind.  Either get behind it on the scope or hold it up inside and move about behind it until you can see a clear red laser like dot projected onto the pink screen when viewed from behind.  Now go back to using it fitted on the scope.  The finder has some other knobs which will move it relative to it's original position on the telescope.  Go outside during the day (not pointing anywhere near the sun) and aim the scope at a distant object (don't worry if the image is upside down or back to front - just get the aerial (for example), tree, spire etc, in the centre of the view of the telescope eyepiece.  Now without moving the telescope adjust the little wheels on the red dot finder and bob around behind until you can also align the red dot on the pink screen with the aerial.  Now go back to the telescope the aerial should still be in the centre and now double check the red dot finder  - if both are pointing at the aerial than you have aligned the red dot finder with the telescope.  You kind of have to look through the red dot on the screen to the object beyond it.  Two eyes open may help - its a bit like using a rifle scope.  If you remove the finder it will require realignment.

Now move to the night time and use the finder in same way.  Get behind it and align the red dot on the pink screen with the object you want to view in the sky and the telescope will be pointing at it.  Also start off using the eyepiece marked with highest number, i.e. if you have a 10mm and a 25mm one use the 25mm until you have found what you are looking for.  These tips might help.

Dont worry. Every beginner finds it surprisingly difficult & frustrating to get  the scope pointed where they want.

This is because the amount of sky you can see through a scope (the Field of View) is so small, maybe the size of a fingernail held at arms length!

I assume your EQ2 is set to your Latitude. You could try setting it to zero degrees for now, (see the manual). Then it will operate like a simpler Alt-Az mount, Swing for left & right, tilt for up & down, like an old-fashioned canon! You may find this easier to aim.

Also focus your 25mm eyepiece on a distant object in daylight before you start. The scope could be pointed directly at a star but you wont see anything if it is well out of focus.

Stick with it . It will become second nature very soon.

Good advice above. Make sure your finder is aligned (do it on a distant building in daylight). Use the eyepiece with the highest number and thus lowest power first as it shows the most sky. Practice. If you still don't like it, you can buy an alt-az mount (I've got one) and it's easier to use. 

Good luck and welcome to the forum. Let us know how it goes.

Dominic

How long have you had the scope? If it is very recently that you bought it you may be able to return the whole kit and buy something else rather than having to upgrade the mount. 

If you are struggling to find things because the scope isn't pointing where you think it is you need to align the finder as detailed above. 

If you are struggling because the mount is unstable you need to upgrade to a stronger mount.

If you are struggling due to the way an equatorial mount moves you either need more practice or to buy an alt/az mount. 

If you are struggling with star hopping or you don't know where things are a go-to mount will help. You will still need to learn to recognise some of the brighter stars and constellations to align it though. 

4 hours ago, dcmb2018 said:

Hello everyone, thanks for reading this.

I've recently bought the above telescope for my son- it's a great telescope and last night we got some great views of the moon but I think what we actually might need is something that's a little easier to use- i.e. with this telescope we struggled for ages to actually find the moon!

Could we, for example, replace the EQ2 mount with something else thats a bit more point and view? Or do we need to replace the telescope? When we can find something it looks brilliant but it's the actual finding that's so difficult. We've also thought about buying something that allows us to enter coordinates and for it to auto find (to get us started)....are they any good?

Sorry- lots of questions but the main one is that we cannot seem to work with the eq2 mount so is it possible to keep the telescope and change the mount to something that's a little more point and shoot and, if so, could you recommend something?

Thanks in advance, would be very grateful for any advice. As you can no doubt tell, we are total newbies but very keen!

You can easily convert your EQ-2 into an alt-azimuth, if you don't want to spring for a dedicated alt-azimuth...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypHmHNXmkHM

One thing, though: the creator of that video is turning the mount-head left and right instead of unlocking the RA-axis to do that.  

• 4 weeks later...

Archived