Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC1318 - Butterfly Nebula

winfij

Hi all,

Here's my latest effort - IC1318 taken through my Pentax SDHF-75 with an Art11002 ccd, giving a 3x4 degree fov.

The 153 five minute unguided subs were taken over the last 4 moon-filled nights, totaling about 12 hours.

I took the subs binned 2x2, but used drizzle techniques to expand back to 1x1 resolution, with some sharpening with fat-tail deconvolution.

I'd be interested to see what people think of the result - does the upscaling look obvious?

I was quite happy with the result - the good amount of data meant I could dig out a fair amount of detail from the dimmer extents, I especially like the effect of the dark globules.

Click the small image below to go to the details page, then click through to see the full resolution image (1.2MB):

IC1318-20081012-Ha.jpg

The direct link to the full sized image is:

http://winfij.homeip.net/gallery/latest/IC1318-20081012-Ha.jpg

Cheers,

John

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looks stunning John , i cant get the larger image ,says page cannot be displayed Grrrrr , would be nice to see this at its large format ,if these images can be expanded it does help in judging Pow for me , bit i like the contrast in this image ,it truely stands out .

Excellent

Rog

Hi all,

I just tried uploading the image to ukastronomers, but that site seems to resize it down to 1600x1024, whereas the full res image is 4046x2750 - it's a pity to lose that extra detail.

I'm hosting it from a web server in my apartment, which only has a 512Kib uplink, but I've killed my bittorrent client, so it should be a little snappier now :undecided:

John

Simply stunning that! Absolutely gorgeous, it has made it into my file where all the hubble images go :undecided:

Thank you for sharing that one (and for highlighting why my images always get made smaller by UKA, I hadn't figured that one out yet!)

TJ

well, I am jealous of you guys out there in CA, all those sunny days and clear nights...looks like you made the most of it too. Wow...

do you use a Ha filter, or was it broad spectrum? if it was Ha, do you post on the NBI group (Narrowbandimaging) group.

you may well be able to get some more details out of it!

what do you make of the sensitivity versus noise for the KAI11002M sensor?

a great picture, every right to be proud!

Best Wishes

Paul

Hi all,

I just tried uploading the image to ukastronomers, but that site seems to resize it down to 1600x1024, whereas the full res image is 4046x2750 - it's a pity to lose that extra detail.

If you don't want it resized on UKA then zip it or rar it and then post it :undecided:

Thanks for the feedback all.

I guess that the experiment into upscaling with drizzle techniques was a success, or at least noone complained :)

do you use a Ha filter, or was it broad spectrum? if it was Ha, do you post on the NBI group (Narrowbandimaging) group.

what do you make of the sensitivity versus noise for the KAI11002M sensor?

Paul - This was taken with a Baader 7nm 2" filter.

The KAI11002 isn't as sensitive in the Ha region as my Sony ICX285 chip, but I was expecting that and willing to trage the sensitivity for the big chip and the flexibility it offers.

What's the group you mention - do you have a URL?

John

Archived