Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Summer Solstice Sun in CaK & Ha 21/06/18

DrRobin

Hi,

Before anyone asks, no it wasn't taken from Stonehenge or at sunrise.  Instead it was taken in Northumberland at a very respectable 11:30.  This been my first solar imaging session since Feb, I couldn't remember any of the settings, or even which adapters I use for my CaK module to get focus and fill the frame.  It slowly came back to me and after waiting 30 minutes for then cloud to clear (actually took the dog for a walk) we had some nice clear sky.

Here is the Calcium-K image, taken with a Zenithstar 80mm, Lunt CaK module, ASI174MM and some fancy wifi enabled Skywatcher Alt/AZ mount.

28067011727_448ca8db65_h.jpgThe Summer Solstice Sun in Calcium-K, 21/06/18 - Zenithstar 80, Lunt CaK module by Robin DrRobin, on Flickr

Ha to follow, once my PC has thought about the processing for a bit longer.

Robin

Very purple.   If you had have been at Stonehenge, some flowery type would have commented that purple ties in with the Earth's natural vibrational energy fields, with self aligned Chakras of course.

On a more technical front, is this a composite mosaic image  ? ... or does the 174 get full Solar disc with an 80mm ( f.l=555mm I think ??)

Sean.

Purple haze perhaps?

Whilst trying to remember how to setup my kit I made a quick survey to make sure the area was swept clear of any wandering  Druids and Pagans, the Chakra and lay lines were all in the right place even checked the feng shui just to be on the safe side. PS no black cats were hurt or sacrificed in the process.

The sun doesn't quite fit on a ASI174 in the vertical direction, it needs about 0.8x reduction.  I get this with a 0.5x focal reducer and a 1.5x screw in Barlow, to make best use of the scope and sensor.  I also shoot with a windowed screen, to make the frame nearly square, it saves on disc space, especially as these were shot in 16 bit.

An appointment this afternoon has stopped me finishing the Ha, but I should get it posted soon.

Archived