Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tube Re-spray Required

DRT

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

27 months is ridiculous! Stuff the warranty and don't even think about fixing it yourself. E-mail, or better, phone Altair and absolutely insist you speak to the top guy/girl. Your scope is faulty and Altair should fix or replace it, simple as that, any procrastination and you spread the word through all the forums, send letters to Astronomy Now and Sky at Night magazines, and generally inform and warn all hobbyists about the dubious quality of Altair products. Tell him you're going to do that and I'll bet it's replaced within a week. 

I'm going to follow this with interest as I'm thinking about a refractor and if you don't get a positive outcome I'll not be buying anything from Altair.

If the aluminium is corroded  (usually grey powdery substance) it needs to be thoroughly removed and treated with etch primer, or alochrom (as Dave-T says) then top coat.

looking at the pics is does look like poor surface finish preparation, moisture or something has got underneath before top coat was applied? Just a guess without physically seeing it 

58 minutes ago, DRT said:

A footnote:

The reason I noticed this is because I intended selling the scope as part of my general clear-out to help pay for some new extravagant toys. The up side might be that I convince myself that the scope is un-sellable and I am forced to keep it forever with a cosmetic defect that makes no difference to the views :grin: 

Just to confirm, particularly as I have now pointed the manufacturer to this thread, my desire is to obtain satisfaction through having a scope that is worthy of the price I paid. My fallback of keeping it forever due to a defect that prevents me selling it is a last ditch attempt to console myself that this could have an alternative good outcome should the supplier not do the right thing. Clearly that would not help encourage others to invest cash in this brand.

I am delighted to report that this looks like it will have a very satisfactory outcome thanks to Nick and Altair Astro. A new tube and dew shield are apparently winging their way to me once the next batch is released :smile: 

It might take a few weeks but once resolved I will post the outcome in the supplier review area.

8 minutes ago, DRT said:

I am delighted to report that this looks like it will have a very satisfactory outcome thanks to Nick and Altair Astro. A new tube and dew shield are apparently winging their way to me once the next batch is released :smile: 

It might take a few weeks but once resolved I will post the outcome in the supplier review area.

Excellent stuff Derek. As it should be, but always nice when it happens

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

Excellent stuff Derek. As it should be, but always nice when it happens

It certainly is, Stu. I now want to keep it, which is an added bonus :smile: 

1 hour ago, DRT said:

RESULT! Well done Derek.

Archived