NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mars: My First Official Image of the Season!

orion25

Here it is, everyone! My first official Mars image of the year. I took this image on June 10, at predawn. It was about 3:40 a.m. EDT, calm and still, with only the sounds of the resident hoot owl, a symphony of crickets and a distant train. It felt like the whole world was sleeping as I was working away. I had had my Big Mak out pretty much all night focusing on planets, starting with Venus at sunset.  Now, Mars was at near its peak elevation for me; I had been waiting all night for this!  Mars looked simply awesome in my 6mm Orion Expanse EP. I gazed for several minutes in awe at the magnificent, bright peach orb...then...TIME TO IMAGE. But guess what? My new 5MP Solar System camera CRASHED (wouldn't you know it-but I got it working again, it was a Windoze compatibility thing)!!! Sooooo, I pulled out the trusty old Orion Deep Space Video Camera II, tweaked it for solar system imaging and marvelled at the result! I tried a barlow shot and got some curious blue fringing around the terminator that I touched up a bit in Photoshop. Both images were processed in Registax 6 from video:

1752987155_ASTRONOMY-MARS(DSCZOOMBIGMAK)6-10-18CAPTION.thumb.jpg.8662deee36506803c53676be99b522f6.jpg 

Here is the barlowed image:

2107857839_ASTRONOMY-MARS(DSCBARLOWZOOMBIGMAK)6-10-18CAPTION.thumb.jpg.dfe579df66d52062f5e18c678099a66f.jpg

These images pretty much match what I saw in the EP, with a little less clarity, but for the most part spot on. I was pleased with the results! Mars was in rare form that night, and the best is yet to come (if the windstorms don't ruin the view)!

Cheers!

Reggie:icescream:

7 hours ago, U Cyg said:

Nicely done Reggie. ?

I've been sneaking a couple of hours sleep between Jupiter & Saturn, then waiting for Mars.  

Angie  

Thanks, Angie. I got a late night view of Mars last evening and saw a relatively smooth, peach disc. Not much detail due to the dust storms. I was using my 127mm Mak and a 6mm Orion Expanse EP. Tonight, I'm going to use my Mars filter, but there may not be much detail to work with :(

Archived