Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Replacements for the Edmund Astroscan

For many years, I've had a classic Edmund Astroscan, but the old, red bowling-ball mount warhorse got took a bonk as it got moved around this winter, and the eyepiece mirror got knocked loose.  Upon digging into the Astroscan scene online to investigate repair or replacement, I am horrified to learn that the Astroscan is no longer in production (sounds like the actual physical mold got literally broken, if you can believe such a thing).  In any case, Edmund's Astroscan RIP.  Not wanting to try to dig up repair options for an out-of-production piece of equipment which will be, tragically but very likely, obsolete soon, I am wondering what currently produced telescope might take the place of the model in practical terms-- simplicity, price, basic model operation, wide-field, etc.  Are there other "bowling-ball" style models?  I prefer not to deal with powered, computer driven things... Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Other than that, there are two interesting models by SkyWatcher:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/skywatcher-heritage-130p-flextube.html

Or closer to Astroscan aperture (not sure if it is produced still):

And one that is more "in spirit" of Astroscan, but less aperture:

SkyWatcher infinity 76p

(it is no longer listed at SW website, but can be found at retailers like here: https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p4056_Skywatcher-Beginner-Telescope-Infinity-76P---Mini-Dobsonian-Telescope.html )

But overall I vote for Heritage 130P flextube.

Teleskop Spezialisten has had this on promo for many months:

https://www.teleskop-spezialisten.de/shop/Telescope/Dobsonian/till-200mm/Telescope-KSON-102/640-f/6-3-Mini-Dobsonian-Newtonian::14.html?language=en

Among the compact dobs it is the only one with a relaxed f/ratio of 6.3, and a compressed price of only 120€ (are you in the US on in Europe?). This focal ratio makes even cheap simplistic eyepieces perform okay, much better than any f/4 telescope, anyway.

2 hours ago, mkruse said:

Not wanting to try to dig up repair options for an out-of-production piece of equipment which will be, tragically but very likely, obsolete soon, 

Hope you don’t mind me saying, but your Astroscan will only be obsolete if you stop using it.......?.........

If you mean that the secondary mirror has come adrift, it should be an easy repair to silicon it back in place. The front optical window is held in place by a large circlip, then the glass with secondary mount can be lifted away.

HTH, Ed.

15 minutes ago, 25585 said:

@FLOused to sell a blue version looking very like an Astroscan. 

I think that was the Skywatcher Infinity.  I believe they were also made in designs that looked like penguins and suchlike.

James

1 hour ago, JamesF said:

I think that was the Skywatcher Infinity.  I believe they were also made in designs that looked like penguins and suchlike.

James

That's it! Plenty to buy online. Parabolic mirror F4 3 inch aperture. £36.88 on Amazon. 

Archived