NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sky Watcher Star Discovery Wedge

Does Synscan not allow you to choose between EQ and AltAz modes on the handset to account for wedge mounting, or does it only present the choice if using an Az-EQ series mount? (I know Celestron’s Nexstar handset allows you to set it manually regardless of what it IDs the mount as - s’how I use my Nexstar LCM mount on a wedge... but never delved deep enough into the menus on the Synscan handset as I use EQMod - handset’s been in a drawer for at least a year).

34 minutes ago, Marci said:

Does Synscan not allow you to choose between EQ and AltAz modes on the handset to account for wedge mounting, or does it only present the choice if using an Az-EQ series mount? (I know Celestron’s Nexstar handset allows you to set it manually regardless of what it IDs the mount as - s’how I use my Nexstar LCM mount on a wedge... but never delved deep enough into the menus on the Synscan handset as I use EQMod - handset’s been in a drawer for at least a year).

The mount informs the handset if it is EQ or AZ and then then handset loads the appropriate alignment routine. 

• 6 months later...

if its synscan v4 (and it is) isnt it possible to update firmware? THan it should give option of alt/az vs eq.... am i wrong?? something like that is written on skywatcher link... also, does anyone tried firmware update on skyscan controler?=??

• 1 month later...

Just wondering if anyone was able to shed light on the subject of fitting star discovery mount with a wedge for eq tracking yet?? as this might be a cheap option for acceptable exposure time for astrophotography, clearly not the best but maybe not to bad!!! I was thinking about this and stumbled across this thread in the process. 

On 17/01/2019 at 09:07, mislav said:

if its synscan v4 (and it is) isnt it possible to update firmware? THan it should give option of alt/az vs eq.... am i wrong?? something like that is written on skywatcher link... also, does anyone tried firmware update on skyscan controler?=??

I think the mount also has to report to the handset that it can 'officially' do eq, or the handset won't give you the choice (what @Cornelius Varleysaid) . My handset didn't prompt when plugged into an aged az-goto

Archived