SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New Dob's First Outing

cloudsweeper

Bresser Messier 10".  Only partly an observation report, and more in the way of getting used to the 'scope.

I've got/had two fracs, a Newt (Eq mounted - didn't take to, hardly used), a Mak, and a Cat, so this is a completely new experience.  I spent some time carefully checking collimation, and did it by eye only with relative ease.  Further checks using an Aline cap and a Cheshire eyepiece necessitated just a minor tweak.  A star test later revealed all was great, so that was a good start!

The finderscope was poor quality and hard to use; I might get a RACI finder later.  Meanwhile, I had fitted a Rigel finder which, once aligned, was very easy and effective in use.  And I made a 5" platform/riser out of odd bits to make viewing a little easier and give the 'scope a firm base.

The tube is just manageable (for me) - I would I reckon have had trouble with anything bigger, so a good choice there!  It drops nicely onto the mount/box, then can be swung around on both axes easily and smoothly.  (The big altitude bearing wheels help a lot with this.)  Having tube rings makes balancing very easy.  And viewing the zenith is no longer thought of as inconvenient!

All in all, I am well and truly converted to this type of telescope.  What did I actually see?  Jupiter, in order to line up the Rigel, then a longer look showed Europa, Io, and Callisto in a close line of three perpendicular to the more usual orientation near the planet; Ganymede was further out.  Now I usually use Stellarium to check what I'm viewing, and at first, couldn't figure out the discrepancy.  It then dawned on me that to more or less see the Stellarium view through the 'scope (depending on tube angle), I needed to invert the screen both ways, not just using a vertical flip.  So - CTRL ^ H, and CTRL ^ V sorted that issue out.

I finished with a look at the starfield around Sadr, and what a sight that was.  I don't think I've previously seen so much in the EP, and so much faint stuff.  For example, there were beautiful tight groups/chains of very faint stars to add to the pleasure. 

Conclusion: I am already very fond of this Dob and its usage, and it will probably be my main 'scope for a while yet at least.  I look forward now to some proper observing with it!

Doug.

P1060323.JPG

P1060324.JPG

P1060326.JPG

P1060327.JPG

For months my only ride was a 4-inch apo and a 6-inch achro refractors (on EQ6 mount). When I got my first Dob (10-inch Revelation), I was blown away by the views. That's when I got hit by aperture fever. Also, was the beginning of my conversion to alt-azimuth mounting.  

2 minutes ago, emadmoussa said:

For months my only ride was a 4-inch apo and a 6-inch achro refractors (on EQ6 mount). When I got my first Dob (10-inch Revelation), I was blown away by the views. That's when I got hit by aperture fever. Also, was the beginning of my conversion to alt-azimuth mounting.  

Know what you mean, Emad.  Can't wait to take a closer look at more elusive targets.  Aperture fever should now be cured, since (unless I get an observatory) I couldn't manage anything bigger!

Doug.

It's good to hear about the experience of going from fracs and maks to a large scope like that. Although I'm quite new to this I'm always thinking about other scopes and a big dob is always there.  The collimation sort of puts me off but sounds like your using it as part of the experience.  Look forward to hearing more as the sky's darken in a few months..

15 minutes ago, mark81 said:

It's good to hear about the experience of going from fracs and maks to a large scope like that. Although I'm quite new to this I'm always thinking about other scopes and a big dob is always there.  The collimation sort of puts me off but sounds like your using it as part of the experience.  Look forward to hearing more as the sky's darken in a few months..

Thanks Mark.  I can't recommend this Dob highly enough, and collimation is easy once you get stuck in.  Reading about it helps of course, but doing it brings it home.  (It's like learning to drive or swim - you can't do it from reading alone!)

Doug.

Edit/PS: I might type up my approach (for what it's worth) and post it some time.

7 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Nice scope Doug. Be interested to know how the planets look in this. I’m sure it’ll scoop up more faint DSO’s than your 8SE SCT. Let us know how it goes mate. :) 

Thanks Gus - will do.  Getting used to it already, and very keen to get out there for action.  (The old 8SE looks like a thimble now!)

Doug.

Well it looks gorgeous. I'm following this with interest. How do you like standing while observing? How was tracking? Are you busting a gut with the weight or is it comfortable? Asking for a friend (who's a bit of a weakling)?

46 minutes ago, domstar said:

Well it looks gorgeous. I'm following this with interest. How do you like standing while observing? How was tracking? Are you busting a gut with the weight or is it comfortable? Asking for a friend (who's a bit of a weakling)?

Yes Dom, it is a thing of beauty!  I nearly always stand when observing, so standing with this one is normal for me.  Having it on an extra 5" of platform helps in this respect - I don't have to bend forward much.  Tracking was smooth and easy, although of course it might get a bit trickier at high mag.  As for the weight (I'm in pretty good shape), I manage it fine, but as I've said, I wouldn't want to cart anything bigger around the garden.  You've just got to hold it carefully, move carefully, and watch out in doorways that you don't knock the focuser or Rigel.  Once it's in place, handling it is quite effortless.

Doug.

10 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

I don't think I've previously seen so much in the EP, and so much faint stuff.  For example, there were beautiful tight groups/chains of very faint stars to add to the pleasure. 

Great Doug, 10" power? glad you like it.

Good idea the dobriser, looks very solid.

Archived