Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Light FSQ 106 and .6x reducer (F3)

Rodd

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, groberts said:

Very promising + good FOV. 

As a matter of interest what Gain & Offset settings did you use?

Graham 

Thanks Graham.  I have only ever used unity gain (139).  My camera does not have a separate offset control--so what ever it is I use.  With the TOA and now the FSQ, it seems unity is pretty good for narrow band.  Broadband seems to do ok as well--though I have a bit of trouble sometimes with broadband in general due to my skies, so its hard to judge gain.  If I was going to experiment with gain and exposure times I think I would do it for LRGB data.

Rodd

8 minutes ago, HunterHarling said:

Very nice. Is this a mosaic?

Thanks. No--just a pretty big FOV provided by a 4/3 C size chip and a focal length of 318mm.  the pixel scale is 2.46 arcsec/pix--which is not too bad for the FOV.  Mosaics will be fun!

Still getting used to the data.  Here's a bit better version.  Mostly processed with full resolution in mind.  

Rodd

How on earth did you get that in only 50 mins? This is a 4 panels mosaic taken through an Esprit 80 with the same camera. Exposures are 5 minutes, the filter is, indeed, a 7nm Optolong. But each panel is at least 2.5h. A simple STF and:

Veil_F400_panel1234_2018_Ha_01_clone_DBE_mt.thumb.jpg.e2e52d03696e06137ab283315f597716.jpg

You seem to have recorded more filaments than I did.

I'm interested to see what you get in 10h+.

2 hours ago, moise212 said:

How on earth did you get that in only 50 mins?

Well--I suppose shooting at f3 helped.  10 hours?  The whole purpose of getting this set up was to avoid taking images over 2 weeks (10 hours would take me that long due to clouds!)  But, realistically--I will be doing it anyway?

Rodd

10 minutes ago, groberts said:

The standard Tak reducer is, I believe, x0.73. Which x0.60 reducer are you using + any issues using it with the Tak 106 + the ZWO1600mm-Cool camera / sensor size etc?  

This is a .6x reducer--fairly new I think.  Google it.  Backfocus is very limited so the spacing is critical.  I could not use the STT-8300 self guiding filter wheel due to backfocus limitations--hence the ASI 1600 and guidescope. A ZWO OAG would work (I just did not take to it). The reducer connects via forward facing threads at the back of the reducer.  The reducer body slides into the optical train--not sticking out from in like most reducers.  So far--no issues.

Rodd

I collected more Ha and OIII.  Here is a bicolor.  I botched the framing of some of the later subs of the evening and lost a bit along the left hand margin.  That is why the image is not centered. I guess it still fits side to side.  Debating on getting SII.  

Ha 136 1min

OIII 109 1min

HOO-3.thumb.jpg.9a5c4c5ba8c29441e9a2ea4ef8d9f5b6.jpg

4 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

If you're not happy with that you're a hard man to please, Rodd!!!

Olly

Thanks Olly. I am pleased --I could do without the white areas.  Not really sure what they are--maybe the SII regions that are not represented?  They are common in images of the Veil (at lest bicolor images).  I have reduced them somewhat, but they are difficult to saturate. So far, f3 has not been too frustrating, once the connection issue is solved.  

Rodd

2 hours ago, Rodd said:

This is a .6x reducer--fairly new I think.  Google it.  Backfocus is very limited so the spacing is critical.  I could not use the STT-8300 self guiding filter wheel due to backfocus limitations--hence the ASI 1600 and guidescope. A ZWO OAG would work (I just did not take to it). The reducer connects via forward facing threads at the back of the reducer.  The reducer body slides into the optical train--not sticking out from in like most reducers.  So far--no issues.

Thanks but I did Google and couldn't find a Tak x0.60 version - is it another make + where did you get it?

Nice Ha OIII image, as you might gather the Tak and filters have whetted my appetite too  ?!  

Graham  

Well done Rodd - lots of promise with the ccd/106 at F3 combination.  I trust you are delighted and planning away for a productive summer ?.

Don't bother with the SII - you have all of the structure and drama with the bi-colour.

CS!

Archived