Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Star Adventurer Tripod

Steve789

Has anyone out there tried the Skywatcher Star Adventurer tripod? (https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-az5-deluxe/sky-watcher-tripod-for-star-adventurer-mini.html)

I've just ordered a star adventurer mini bundle and I'm now looking for a sturdy portable tripod to mount it on. The Skywatcher Star Adventurer tripod looks like it would fit the bill but I can't find any reviews about it anywhere. The price tag is very reasonable and the weight also seems pretty good (for the money) but this just makes me think that it might not be any better than my existing tripod which is perfect for DSLR photography but probably won't be solid enough for the Star Adventurer Mini. I need a 2nd tripod anyway as the idea is I carry 2 cameras to locations and have the ability to take tracked images at the same time as conventional untracked shots or timelapses.

Just a note before I get lots of replies telling me to just use a HEQ5 tripod or similar - this has to be portable. For example I'd need to be able to carry it up Pen y Fan along with all my other gear so weight is an important factor. I'm also not looking to take images with long focal lengths either. My main interest is (ultra) wide angle astro shots in interesting locations. I'm bound to try longer focal lengths with the SAM at some point but I don't expect good results.

Hopefully someone that has tried the tripod will read this and give their opinion. If not I'm open to suggestions for a good, sturdy, relatively lightweight and compact tripod preferably for under £100 (previous experience tells me such a thing doesn't exist!).

Thanks in advance.

Can't help you with that one I'm afraid, but I bought a Neewer carbon fibre tripod at £70 for my Star Adventurer (not the mini).  Seems good so far though I've hardly given it a tough time yet.  That one isn't available any more but I believe similar models are.  I particularly like the fact that it has a hook on the bottom to hang some weight on for improving stability.  It also packs up nice and small.

James

I’ve got one - very light but solidly made - packs up fairly small. Had no issues with it so far, benefits from being used with the accessory tray clipped in and the ubiquitous heavy weight hanging from underneath! All good really, use mine all the time.

Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

Mr niall that's reassuring to hear although JamesF and kendg have now got me thinking of alternatives! I hadn't realised carbon tripods had got so cheap.

I think I'll wait until the SAM arrives and try it with my Benro tripod. If I think the Benro's solid enough I'll get something like the Neewer mentioned above (I like the idea it could work as a spare if my Benro breaks). If not I'll go for the Skywatcher tripod.

1 hour ago, Steve789 said:

Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

Mr niall that's reassuring to hear although JamesF and kendg have now got me thinking of alternatives! I hadn't realised carbon tripods had got so cheap.

I think I'll wait until the SAM arrives and try it with my Benro tripod. If I think the Benro's solid enough I'll get something like the Neewer mentioned above (I like the idea it could work as a spare if my Benro breaks). If not I'll go for the Skywatcher tripod.

Hi Steve789, I have the SW tripod for SAM, it’s an almost tailor made match for the SA or SAM.

I am looking to sell mine if you are interested.

It is about 2months old and used twice in my garden to test the SAM. I bought myself a solid manfrotto tripod for my new full frame canon so I have not used the SW tripod ever since

12 minutes ago, lnlarxg said:

Hi Steve789, I have the SW tripod for SAM, it’s an almost tailor made match for the SA or SAM.

I am looking to sell mine if you are interested.

It is about 2months old and used twice in my garden to test the SAM. I bought myself a solid manfrotto tripod for my new full frame canon so I have not used the SW tripod ever since

Thanks for the offer. Like I said I'm going to wait until I get the SAM and try it with my existing tripod before I make a decision. If I decide to go for the SW tripod I'll send you a PM to see if you still have it. I should have the SAM by the weekend so hopefully I'll have a chance to try it out and get an idea of what it needs in the way of a tripod.

21 hours ago, Mr niall said:

I’ve got one - very light but solidly made - packs up fairly small. Had no issues with it so far, benefits from being used with the accessory tray clipped in and the ubiquitous heavy weight hanging from underneath! All good really, use mine all the time.

What heavy weight would that be?. 

13 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

What heavy weight would that be?. 

I've Got a 5kg kettlebell with a piece of tailoring elastic that I hang over the pillar. I've adjusted the length so it just touches the floor.

3 minutes ago, Mr niall said:

I've Got a 5kg kettlebell with a piece of tailoring elastic that I hang over the pillar. I've adjusted the length so it just touches the floor.

Ah ok. I thought it was a weight that should be included in the box. 

Archived