Elephant's Trunk HaSHO

Rodd

Reprocessing is all I have left it seems.  I was never satisfied with this image as it contains over 30 hours of exposure time and I haver always thought it should look better.  I think this is an improvement.

TOA 130 at F7,7 with STT-8300

Ha 27 30min

OIII 24 30 min

SII 15 30 min 

X5-stars.thumb.jpg.db7bd4b51ee350e2d1ac83961bc24585.jpg

4 minutes ago, MikeODay said:

Wonderful image Rodd.  Great detail and I love the colours.

Thanks Mike.  I find this one very tricky.  The plethora of tiny stars doesn't help!

Rodd

I think its a tad bright--dropped brightness in lighter regions--not in dark regions, so ridge details near the top of the trunk

are still visible.  Maybe a tad too saturated, but it seems balanced.

X5-stars-2tgv-r2r.thumb.jpg.4c7c7d9e7f0ff94af70e353a95a1f65d.jpg

1 hour ago, MartinFransson said:

That image is so good it makes me want to cry :)

I actually like the brighter image better and if it was my image it would be on its way to printing already!

Thanks Martin.  Interesting.  I am torn....as usual.  

Rodd

1 minute ago, HunterHarling said:

Nice. Looks like the top of the trunk is glowing!

Thanks Hunter.  It would be interesting to see what type of stars lie on the other side of the pillar.  

Rodd

Agree with Peter, this is a beaut. I don't have a preference from amongst the adjustments.

I might just drop the saturation a little around that top star because the magentas look slightly angry. 10 seconds as a Ps layer adjustment. (Sorry, only winding you up, Rodd!!!)

I've recently experimented with ordering prints on plexiglass and the lovely glow in this image would, I think, come out perfectly in that format.

Olly

2 hours ago, Petergoodhew said:

Rodd, how can you not be anything less than delighted with this?  It's truly magnificent, with so much depth to it.  I can't fault it!

Thanks Peter.  Yes, I am happy.  I have stopped tinkering.

Rodd

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Agree with Peter, this is a beaut. I don't have a preference from amongst the adjustments.

I might just drop the saturation a little around that top star because the magentas look slightly angry. 10 seconds as a Ps layer adjustment. (Sorry, only winding you up, Rodd!!!)

I've recently experimented with ordering prints on plexiglass and the lovely glow in this image would, I think, come out perfectly in that format.

Olly

Thanks Olly.  Yeah, I know that star (all 3 of them) is blown.  Unfortunately in PI, fixing it is not as easy as in PS (as far as I know).  It will take some effort.  

Plexiglass sounds interesting.  I have printed a few on metal.  I find that lighting is critical.  In poor light--or even just normal light they look dull, with poor resolution.  But with the right light--like a museum or gallery focused LED lighting, they come alive. The change is remarkable.  But printing is a world unto itself.  To print this image I would need to start over  as it was not saved to 300dpi.  Changing it now would be meaningless (as far as I can tell).  Then again I found printing to be like following Alice down the rabbit hole.  Never have I heard the terms "not necessarily" or "It depends" more frequently.   

I have been thinking about displaying images on panels--like IPAD panels instead of paper or metal or glass.  Not sure they make panels like that--simple, without any storage or function other than storing an image and turning on and off....so they should be relatively inexpensive.  

Rodd

42 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Thanks Olly.  Yeah, I know that star (all 3 of them) is blown.  Unfortunately in PI, fixing it is not as easy as in PS (as far as I know).  It will take some effort.  

Plexiglass sounds interesting.  I have printed a few on metal.  I find that lighting is critical.  In poor light--or even just normal light they look dull, with poor resolution.  But with the right light--like a museum or gallery focused LED lighting, they come alive. The change is remarkable.  But printing is a world unto itself.  To print this image I would need to start over  as it was not saved to 300dpi.  Changing it now would be meaningless (as far as I can tell).  Then again I found printing to be like following Alice down the rabbit hole.  Never have I heard the terms "not necessarily" or "It depends" more frequently.   

I have been thinking about displaying images on panels--like IPAD panels instead of paper or metal or glass.  Not sure they make panels like that--simple, without any storage or function other than storing an image and turning on and off....so they should be relatively inexpensive.  

Rodd

This is worth a thread on its own but my rule of thumb for prints is that they become black and white clipped, so the dark end needs a lift and the bright end a bit of reduction. Also, anything faintly above the background sky needs a further lift but you don't need to worry about small scale noise because the print eats it!

I must try prints on metal but the plexiglass ones are nice and cheap.

Olly

6 minutes ago, Shibby said:

Fantastic job; you've brought out so much of the background detail, but without overdoing it. Nice framing, too :)

Thanks Lewis.  I found the background quite tricky--so many stars!

Rodd

Archived