Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M83 - The Southern Pinwheel Galaxy

Petergoodhew

The Southern Pinwheel captured on my APM TMB in Spain.

I saw this pretty, and lesser-known, galaxy in an article in the May issue of Astronomy Now magazine and wanted to have a try at it.  However being a southern hemisphere target it's virtually impossible to capture from London but just about reachable for a short period each night from Spain.

14h15m hours total integration (27x900s luminance, 10x600s for each RGB channel, 8x1200s Ha)

M83 LRGB crop.jpg

A very fine image and not an object I knew at all well. There's a wonderful sense of movement in the way the spiral arms are wound.

More proof of the power of a large refractor, too. What wonderful things they are!

Olly

On 24/05/2018 at 19:48, Petergoodhew said:

The Southern Pinwheel captured on my APM TMB in Spain.

I saw this pretty, and lesser-known, galaxy in an article in the May issue of Astronomy Now magazine and wanted to have a try at it.  However being a southern hemisphere target it's virtually impossible to capture from London but just about reachable for a short period each night from Spain.

14h15m hours total integration (27x900s luminance, 10x600s for each RGB channel, 8x1200s Ha)

M83 LRGB crop.jpg

Beautiful image , the southern pinwheel has been on my to-do list for a time but skies aren't friendly this year and the only time i could try it was only a few frames. 

Congrats. 

Archived