Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Unused binoculars are everywhere

mark81

My most used binoculars were a pair one of my grandparents gave to me about 25 years ago. Over the last couple of years they have been falling apart to the point where they are useless. I happened to mention this to a lovely lady I work for and she casually said I could have her pair and she has only ever used them once and never will again.  Off she went and soon returned with a pair of 10x50 tasco zips. OK, only tasco but these are brand new! In a nice case, neck strap, eyecups and the glass is so clear and clean - maybe a bit of dust need clearing out - you might see in the pics. 

I told this story to my neighbour who straight away said 'oh. You could have had my pair - I never use them'

This got me thinking - how many people have binoculars stored away and never use them. My advice is to bring them into a conversation - as subtle as you can of course and you may very well be surprised. 

IMG_20180524_154002.jpg

IMG_20180524_154052.jpg

I gave a kid across the street from me a pair of almost new Strathspey 10x50 bins because i was chatting to his mother and she said he'd love a telescope but she wasnt sure if he would use the scope. 

I missed them so much, i bought another pair the next week.

The last few pairs I acquired have all been secondhand (don’t make Porros like they used to!) Maybe I ought to post something at work about collecting unused bins for charity.... see what comes out the woodwork! 

PEter

PS I have already left one nice (surplus) 7x35 set in a hide at a local nature reserve.

I got a pair of "broken" Yashica-built 7x50 bins from a photography store I frequent, after I told them I was interested in a busted pair for parts. They kindly offered me a pair for free. Walking to my bike I noticed all that was wrong with them was misscollimation and a loose diopter adjustment ring. That was soon sorted, and as my kids fell in love with them, I wasn't allowed to strip them for parts.

15 hours ago, PeterW said:

Some of the best bins are old ones.... 

Peter

Yet my best porro-prism bins EVER are my most recent ones: the Helios LightQuest 16x80s. Absolutely superb!!

3 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Yet my best porro-prism bins EVER are my most recent ones: the Helios LightQuest 16x80s. Absolutely superb!!

? very wide 7x30 and an 8x30 from eBay. Old Porros have limited eye relief and lack the latest coatings, but no one makes wide angle like the bins of old.

PEter

Archived