William Herschel Telescope

I've just got back from my visit to La Palma...well what can I say other than 'jaw dropping' ...those who have visited will already know. I drove up the one and a half hour journey to the top  every night for five nights and stayed till the early hours. Seeing Scorpio in full for the first time was amazing, its now my new favourite constellation. Being in the presence of these historical observatories along with the ink black skies will stay with me for the rest of my days. The zodiacal light stretched up way above my head it was magical.

I had a chance to go into the William Herschel and Isaac Newton Telescopes. There is a massive amount of work going on with the WHT at the moment as they are completely replacing the telescope control systems. They were testing it the night I took this shot.

Sagittarius and Scorpio rising above The William Herschel Telescope. Taken with my Sony A7s and Nikon 50mm lens. 3x 20s  two panels dark frame subtracted.

Thanks for looking

William Herschel Milky Way small.jpg

Beautiful ! I'm going in August but due to fitting holiday around work it will be a waxing Moon. Should get a few nights at the start of trip where it sets around 9pm though so will be straight out first night !

4 minutes ago, knobby said:

Beautiful ! I'm going in August but due to fitting holiday around work it will be a waxing Moon. Should get a few nights at the start of trip where it sets around 9pm though so will be straight out first night !

If you haven't been before I can safely say you will love it....Im planning on going back

Lovely shot Peter :)

3 hours ago, knobby said:

If the first few nights you’re there you walk past a guy in the dark do say Hello, it may be me :) It’ll be the tail end of my holiday though so I’ll be tired.... so if you just get a grunt in response it was definitely me :)

6 hours ago, James said:

Lovely shot Peter :)

If the first few nights you’re there you walk past a guy in the dark do say Hello, it may be me :) It’ll be the tail end of my holiday though so I’ll be tired.... so if you just get a grunt in response it was definitely me :)

Thank you James, have you been before?

what kit will you be taking with you?

10 hours ago, peter shah said:

Thank you James, have you been before?

what kit will you be taking with you?

I spent a couple of weeks there in August 2015 - it was all DSLR stuff last time and will be this time too although I’ll have a SAM with me this time. Not sure if taking a slider will be practical but I’m looking into it :)

Last time the first week was full of desert dust but the second week was good ...

10 hours ago, knobby said:

I'm arriving 16th August, S.E. of island near the lighthouse.

Taking a SAM, Nikon D5300, 12 - 24 f4, Nikon 105 f2.8.

I think we leave on the 17th so probably no overlap :) We’ll be up in Puntagorda on the NW part of the island..

Looking forward to it obviously but need to Improve my fitness and get ready for a week or so’s lack of sleep.

Looking at your picture Peter I think by August the Milky Way will have moved enough that I’ll have to try for pictures from a completely different position from you.. Is the works on the telescopes up there causing any problems? ( for random astronomers sneaking around in the dark?)

9 hours ago, James said:

Looking at your picture Peter I think by August the Milky Way will have moved enough that I’ll have to try for pictures from a completely different position from you.. Is the works on the telescopes up there causing any problems? ( for random astronomers sneaking around in the dark?)

Yes it will have but it will be in a better position to image.... They close the gates at 8pm so you cant drive up to the observatories after dark and you are not allowed to stay over night at the very top where the observatories are. but there are a few parking points along the road where you can set up. and there are lots of other locations around the island  specifically for astronomy. The island have very strict rules about light pollution so you are never far from a dark site where ever you set up.

9 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Peter that is a fantastic photograph. I think you have shown that I should be organising a trip to La Palma.

thank you its well worth a trip

On 21/05/2018 at 08:08, James said:

We’ll be up in Puntagorda on the NW part of the island

Take the turning opposite the garage and drive straight up the mountain to here https://earth.app.goo.gl/QAy43

Tarmac road (a bit of dirt) then concrete fire road.  Check it during daylight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can also set up in a flat area before starting upthe concrete road.  A technical drive!

I have been quite a few times.

Great for DSO observing.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/05/2018 at 21:33, clarkpm4242 said:

Take the turning opposite the garage and drive straight up the mountain to here https://earth.app.goo.gl/QAy43

......  A technical drive!

Thank you for the tip Paul - I've had a look and I think I know the road you mean (although I only ever went part way up). Whether I do it or not will depend on the car my wife hires for us :) Last time I took some pretty hairy roads in an underpowered 1.2L Skoda. When I handed it back I took the mechanic there aside and suggested he changes the clutch and the brakes... nothing could be done for the long term stress damage I caused Kate and the kids...

James

Archived