Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC5070 Narrowband Ha Oiii with 40d DSLR (Pelican Neb)

tooth_dr

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Droogie 2001 said:

Love the colours, what blend are you using? Is the reworked image a crop of the original or a new one? If its a crop then it has retained alot of the nice details. 

Thank-you.  I'll be honest I started off well, then two hours into the processing I had about six files open, each with multiple layers at various stages of processing, some Oiii and some Ha, some with stars, some without.

With regards to the new version, I added some Ha from November, the camera was at a slightly different rotation, hence the crop.

The process I followed was:

removed stars from Ha and Oiii

strecthed and added to green and blue channels of a new image

synthesised an Sii layer from 50% Ha 50% Oiii and added to red channel

adjusted selective colour until it looked sort of ok

placed a new Ha layer over this, set to Luminance

adjusted colours a bit more, boosted stauration, and thats about it.

On ‎14‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 21:57, tooth_dr said:

I reworked this, seems to be an improvement perhaps?

IC5070_3_channels_lum_final_2.jpg

This is looking great Adam! You seem to have picked up the processing workflow very well. And the more times you don it, the better you will get too.

I really like the framing on this one. There's plenty of nice detail showing through, and the dark nebula regions have plenty of contrast. You've also kept the stars under control too, so well done!

I've started taking a small amount of short subs (e.g 20 x 60s) with just my IDAS-D1 filter, to use just for the stars themselves. Seeing as this workflow demands that you remove them anyway, I figured one might as well add in some RGB ones, and the great thing is they don't take long to shoot. A new process to add to the list eventually! lol. But don't worry about that for now, white stars still look great in a NB image.

17 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Got to be honest. The rework doesnt do it for me. Its all a bit Teal. Somehow (in my eyes) the Pelican is lost in the image.

Thanks for the feedback Paul! Now that you mention it, I can see there is a distinct lack of brown/orange that was present in the first one.  I will see if I can address this, as the Pelican would benefit from this.

8 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks for the feedback Paul! Now that you mention it, I can see there is a distinct lack of brown/orange that was present in the first one.  I will see if I can address this, as the Pelican would benefit from this.

Just a smidgen on head and along the beak to give definition. Maybe on the breast too.

*says the guy who has taken at most 2 astro images ever*. 

6 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Just a smidgen on head and along the beak to give definition. Maybe on the breast too.

*says the guy who has taken at most 2 astro images ever*. 

I'll defintiely give the breast a good touching up Paul :happy7:

I really liked the first one for the glowing colours on the left of the image as they really accentuate Pelican 

...but of course the second image is bringing out the nebulosity in fine detail

Great work!

David

11 hours ago, Rodd said:

The best Bicolor of this target I have seen today (and I only saw one).  Well done.

Rodd

I fixed that for you Rodd!  Joking aside I really really like the way I framed it, I will definitely add more data to this.

Archived