NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Jupiter 07_05_18

Managed at last to nab my first image of Jupiter with my ASI 120 mc camera attached to my C8 SCT with my ADC fitted also. Had planned on starting capturing data at about 11:30pm, but after a mammoth Windows 10 update which took forever and a day it seems, I only managed to be able to use the laptop again at 12:30am on the 7th May. Managed to capture about 11 quick captures, with the image below been the very first one taken & processed. Captured with Sharpcap, Debayered in Firecapture, Stacked in Registak, and finally tweaked a little in PS. Lots to learn still, but very pleased with the result below. Image flipped horizontally for correct view. I'd just missed the transit of Ganymede, and Io is on the right of the planet.

Jupiter_00_31_50_Bilinear_07_05_18_Correct_View.thumb.png.53c9195aba74a07f42458b862df91cef.png  

3 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Nice work :thumbsup:. I've just come in from a long capture and visual session on Jupiter - best seeing of the year so far for me and easily the best views of Jupiter at the eyepiece ever...:smile:

Thanks Geof. Yes, I had about 2 hours of visual observations of Jupiter before I could even think about getting the laptop out to do the image. Was cheesed off I’d missed the transit, as that would have great for a first image. Seeing was so so really, but managed to pull out quite a little bit of detail none the less. 

7 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Thanks Geof. Yes, I had about 2 hours of visual observations of Jupiter before I could even think about getting the laptop out to do the image. Was cheesed off I’d missed the transit, as that would have great for a first image. Seeing was so so really, but managed to pull out quite a little bit of detail none the less.

Seeing is such a fickle thing and you just have to keep trying - gotta kiss a lots of frogs....!!

5 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Just processed this image which was the third one I took. Looks like it has much finer detail from what I can see.

Jupiter_00_34_49_07_05_18Bilinear.thumb.png.fbf6fecad5a7e1ee55cef7e9577d6aaf.png

Yeah, definitely has more detail there.... 

Get a copy of WinJupos and process all of your Videos the way you're doing them and than De-Rotate and stack them in WinJupos... see what happens, what you end up with.

13 minutes ago, orion25 said:

Fine images, Gus! Jupiter is a real beauty to image. I'm still trying to master the process, lol. Nice work!

Reggie

Thanks Reggie. Still on my first steps with planetary imaging, but enjoying the journey so far. :) 

4 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

Yeah, definitely has more detail there.... 

Get a copy of WinJupos and process all of your Videos the way you're doing them and than De-Rotate and stack them in WinJupos... see what happens, what you end up with.

Thanks. I’ll give it a whirl and see what I get. Ta! :) 

Managed to tweak this third image of Jupiter taken just before 1am last night a little more to show a little more brighter details. Ganymede at the 1 o’clock position, with Io well off to the right just visible too. :) 

1D1E844E-D06B-483A-8727-C215BDD84B65.thumb.jpeg.0ef494d0fd30ab309e292c9ab89f9888.jpeg

Archived