Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bresser Messier 8" Dob ?

Have been thinking about getting a small dob and have been looking at the Bresser Messier 8” dob. Had a Skywatcher 8” dob years ago which was fine optically but the base left something to,be desired. Like the fact that the Bresser has proper alt bearings and uses tube rings and has a decent focuser. Price wise similar in cost to the Skywatcher once you’ve added a better focuser.

So really the decision is coming down to the quality of the mirror. Any opinions on the Bressers mirror?

John

F545DC9B-9F5A-4F86-A09D-2039F55A6BCF.jpeg

John

I looked at this very scope and the 10" at Telescope House recently, the focuser is nicer, the tube is very similar and I expect the mirrors are alike.
The one thing that did disappoint me was the base, the movements in altitude with the big bearings was rather stiffer than I would expect.
The icing on the cake of a no sale was the 10" lens cap was stuck solid on the demo unit.

I hanker for an Orion Optics UK Dob base, will wait and save my pennies.

Clearly we all have differing expectations, but the base was in my opinion not really up to the job.

Interesting comments re: the base. Maybe I should consider the GSO (same as Revelation) sold by Telescope Express? Over the years I’ve had a Skywatcher 8”, 10” and 12” plus a 16” Lightbridge as well as the OO 14”.

The OO dob bases are solid but pricy to buy separately.

My old “Blue Whale” OO 350 dob with StellarCAT.

3B56316D-1C45-416E-904D-45BC80463721.jpeg

I have the 6" F8 tube, lovely focuser and mirrors seem pretty good, re the comment about end cap, mine was a tight fit at first but okay now, I won't be keeping it but nice scope, oh and the finder supplied with mine is pants

12 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

I have the 6" F8 tube, lovely focuser and mirrors seem pretty good, re the comment about end cap, mine was a tight fit at first but okay now, I won't be keeping it but nice scope, oh and the finder supplied with mine is pants

So you think the 6” is pretty good?

Another idea. Buy the Bresser 150 f8 OTA and use it on my Skytee II Berlebach setup or get an OO VX6L with 1/10 pv mirror and use it on the Skytee.

Hmmmmm :icon_biggrin:

I have this scope and it has served me pretty well. As others have said the build quality and focuser are good. I haven't had any issues with the base, but guess I might have a "good" one.

I have never got on with the end cap - it's tight and sometimes doesn't want to go on. Does the job but it's a pain.

And yes, the supplied finder is not up to much.

Billy.

I've had one of these for a few years and never regretted spending the extra over the equivalent Skywatcher model. At the shop I went to the Bresser base was noticeably smoother to use. I did find when I unpacked mine that some of the screws holding the ptfe pads in place weren't driven below the base of the pad which would have made a right mess of the runners if I hadn't noticed and fixed it before first light. 

Archived