Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ring Nebula plus - you decide?

I was happily snapping away last night (early hours!) but only ended up with about 30 x 45 sec, anyway, one of them caught my eye just now, at first I thought great a shooting star passing by the Ring, but on closer inspection it seems to have a few brighter darker streaks, so maybe an Iridium or satellite.  I checked my app for that time of night and nothing, so what about a simple plane, but it seems to be a single streak and no colours.

Over to you for your perusal, single RAW frame converted to jpg, taken at 01:08 this morning, East Yorkshire UK.

IMG_6351 (2).jpg

I get lots of these over the years,  sometimes you can stretch it really hard and follow a straight line across the image, normally a satellite trail,  but then some of them start and finish mid frame, which I put down to micro meteors.

At dark sites I frequently observe momentary light flashes, no trail, and extremely short duration. Even stood around with highly experienced observers there was quite some debate about what they might be!

It seems to have equal brightness on both sides and brightest at mid point. So, it fades into view, brightens to max and then fades out of view. I'm thinking it's an Iridium flare. Certainly looks like any I've ever seen on long exposure image. 

I caught a few of these short streaks in some widefield shots I took of Virgo galaxies on Friday night.  Apart from wondering if it was the Millennium Falcon, given the date, I concluded they were probably tumbling satellites.

cudd3.jpg

59 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

It seems to have equal brightness on both sides and brightest at mid point. So, it fades into view, brightens to max and then fades out of view. I'm thinking it's an Iridium flare. Certainly looks like any I've ever seen on long exposure image. 

Hmm yeah, after googling pics of iridium flares I'd agree with you. There are some faint "streaks" coming off to the right towards the bottom of the pic also.

I would agree with iridium flare, or at least some sort of satellite flare. Meteors tend to build in brightness then drop of suddenly, rather than, as Paul says, being and equal fade in fade out.

Lovely image, M57 looks fab.

Archived