Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

which 80mm Apo ???

Guys,

I've been sat here for a few days deciding which set up to purchase.

My plans are to mount it on my C11, and also independantly on the NEQ3, not yet bought.

My query, which of the following are top dog for Canon 350D DSLR imaging.

Equinox 80mm (maybe the 100mm)

Meade series 5000 80mm

Skywatcher Pro 80mm

Megrez 88mm

any others @£700-900 ?

I have looked at other scopes, but trying to keep F/point as fast as possible. @ F/6, faster exposures to combat LP.

I do realise that these types of questions are very open ended but wondering if anyone has had the chance to use side by side etc. I am also buying the Astronomik CLS clip filter.

Hope this makes sense.....

Eddie H

any others @£700-900 ?

At this price i'd add used TMB 80/480 + TeleVue TRF-2008 reducer/flattener and the Borg 77ED + Borg 0.85x reducer (there's a f/4 reducer too, but not quite in the budget). Both are quick, good quality, and have a flat field for imaging.

There's an informative review on the Megrez 88 here, short answer appears to be that CA is a problem for imaging use.

Have you though about a WO,

they have a flatteners for imaging and reducing the f/ratio of the scope.

i would say that the 90mm or 72mm WO would have to be considered when looking for a APO espcially when you plan to image through it, though it depends on how much field curvature is a problem to you.

if you don't want the flattener then my i suggest the SW 80mm pro as i have hear a lot of good reviews on it by members in here

ally

I'm glad you asked this question Eddie - I was about to ask the very same thing. I don't mean to hijack your thread but I have a couple of quick questions if you don't mind :undecided:

My initial choices were; Equinox 80, SW 80ED, WO72, with the Equinox being at the very top end of my budget. The 'scope will be used for imaging, guiding and as a holiday 'scope.

Does anybody rate the Equinox 80? I know looks aren't everything but it does look lovely and I like the idea of a 10:1 focuser. Is it as good optically as the 80ED?

Cheers,

Ian

You know that is the second time i have heard that the TMB 80mm story

'i wish i had not sold it', seemingly they are so good that some people bought them back after selling it cos they missed it so

As Joni Mitchell said, you dont know what you've got 'til its gone.

The one i'd really love is the 80/600 for visual use, that's supposed to be a bit special. But the 80/480's the one for imaging if you have the flattener too.

Guys,

I have came into some inherited money, sadly my mam and dad died within 33 days of each other, due to cancer in August/September. I'm due away on the 20th for 4/5 months and will purchase upon my return.

Hence price is not a problem just housing it with my C11 taking a huge amount of space. Also the mount needed for my "new" scope. I have looked at the TMB's, but pricie, 80mm/480 @£1,600. Thats why I posted.

As for flatteners etc. I'm a total novice here with imaging, and noted a hell of a lot of people using the above scopes, and my enquiry.

Thanks for your replies,

Eddie H

Guys,

I have came into some inherited money, sadly my mam and dad died within 33 days of each other, due to cancer in August/September. I'm due away on the 20th for 4/5 months and will purchase upon my return.

Hence price is not a problem just housing it with my C11 taking a huge amount of space. Also the mount needed for my "new" scope. I have looked at the TMB's, but pricie, 80mm/480 @£1,600. Thats why I posted.

As for flatteners etc. I'm a total novice here with imaging, and noted a hell of a lot of people using the above scopes, and my enquiry.

Thanks for your replies,

Eddie H

Sorry to hear of you loss Eddie, went thru it myself 2 years ago with both my parents :)

I'm biased too, SW ED80 does it for me :undecided:

No, not quite the same thing. Telescope House have one here

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Clearance1.html

but there's also a cheaper William Optics 'super APO' version (same optics, different tube). Don't think they're available new any more (may be wrong), used they'd be in the £600-700 range, I think. Sold mine for £720 a year ago, still regret selling it.

I love my William Optics Megrez 90/621mm. It can be taken down to f/5.5 with a 0.8 reducer/flattener. The build quality is amazing and I've never had better views. (It serves both as a grab-and-go and imaging scope).

It even smells good .-)

guys,

Spent hours yesterday searching around.

Anyone used the Celestron 80mm Onyx, at £617.

Keeps the colour scheme and asthetic look the same :undecided:

Vixen EDF's ?

I know there's literally hundreds to choose from.

It took me 2 months to decide on the C11, and well chuffed with that, so want to do the same instead of rushing into things as per usual. I'll use my C11 as a guide and take wide fields with the refractor. I took a shot of M 31 last night and even at F/6.3 I only captured the core, just overwhelmed the FOV. Hence my need for the Apo.

THEN OFCOURSE SOMEONE TO COME AND SHOW ME WHAT TO DO :scratch:

Cheers for all the feedback, more than appreciated.

TTN.... Eddie H

That does look suspiciously like the ones Astronomica and others are selling. Rumored (and I mean just that, a rumor) to be the original batch of Meade triplets that they didn't sell due to QC issues.

Personally, I'd rather have a good quality doublet than a 'cheap' triplet of unknown quality.

Tony..

Archived