Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC891 - Caldwell 23 - visibility in a small scope

I have been trying to observe this galaxy for the past few seasons - without success. Initially I used a 5" SCT and this year my 4" APO refractor - but I just cannot see it. I have a reasonable dark sky, I have printed a 2 degree star map down to 12th Mag and have used averted sight. I can see the surrounding star field but not the 'edge on' galaxy.

Amongst the many astronomers on SGL what is the smallest scope that has detected this galaxy? What was the view like?

Mark

• 1 year later...

It is easily visible in an 8" scope from a UK dark sky site and from places like Dalby and Kielder it can look pretty impressive. It is not a small galaxy. Hard to believe, but at such a site you can detect it with averted vision with an 80mm. I was a bit suprised by this, but it was spotted (Celestron 80mm ED). Light pollution however makes this a very tough, if not impossible target with modest gear.

Richard

This was a thread from my past which I am glad to say has now been successfully seen. In fact I first detected the galaxy with my 10" Dob which I did not have in 2008. However, since then I have observed the galaxy with my 4" APO - perhaps as Herschel stated once an object has been observed in a larger scope it can be detected in a smaller instrument.

Mark

Mark

I think there's some truth in Herchel's statement. Took me a long time to bag 891, but since then it's routine at any suitable site. But still a bit suprised to see it in an 80mm scope.

Richard

I struggled for ages to find it in an 8.5" skies from my garden site in a small town. It is just visible on nights of good transparency - if you know where to look. It is right on the borderline though.

It is much easier from our dark sky site on Salisbury Plain - away from all the street lights. That being said, any faint cirrus or mist will render it invisible.

I have heard of people seeing it in 6" scopes from Kelling so it can be done.

Mark

One of my favourites - the "Outer Limits Galaxy" - anyone know why it's so known ?

So far I've only seen it in my 8".

Ant

Presumably it appeared in the opening credits of the 60s TV series.

It's one of the harder "showpiece" galaxies because, being edge-on, it is of relatively small total area (compared to Messiers etc), low total brightness, and also low surface brightness. I've viewed it with an 8", never tried anything smaller, but it should certainly be achieveable with 100mm or less if the sky is dark enough and you know where to look. It's directly due east of Almach (Gamma Andromedae) so a standard trick is to find Almach, turn off any tracking, and wait about 18 minutes until NGC 891 drifts into the field of view.

I couldn't find it in our 12 inch dob from home, but it turns out that I was looking in exactly the right spot, as I found it at the SSP, which was a good dark site. It would have dissapeared into the background sky from home it seems.

Cheers

Rob

Mark

I struggled and struggled with my 10 inch and eventually found the central bits when it was overhead using averted vision!

Try low power. I coudl see it much more easily at about 30 to 50 x. It is large so it seems to be impossible when I use a 9mm or below.

Mark

One of my favourites - the "Outer Limits Galaxy" - anyone know why it's so known ?

So far I've only seen it in my 8".

Ant

I've often wondered why it's called this. My theory too is maybe it was featured in the title sequence of the 60's sci-fi series - I'm too young to confirm this though - just;).

On the visibility issue, from my light polluted back garden I sometimes struggle to see it well with the 20". planning to take the big 'un out to a dark site this autumn for a proper look.

Well, it's not in the opening sequence - the mystery continues!

Edit:

I found the answer in Stephen O'Meara's book on the Caldwell objects. The galaxy appears in the first episode of the series, and it was O'Meara who coined the nickname. He was able to see the dust lane with his 4" scope and reports that the galaxy can be seen with 60mm aperture from a dark site.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived