NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Guidescope Suitability Calculator

On 16/04/2018 at 14:51, FLO said:

Currently there is no explanatory text, we will add that when enough people have kicked it's tyres :smile: 

No 0.9x option for Barlow/Reducer - that's the Skywatcher Coma Corrector lots of us use with the 130P-DS so ought to be there.

Minor point 130P on list but 130P-DS isn't (although both have same aperture f/l).

27 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

How long does it take for an added scope or camera to appear in the menu. I tried adding my Meade SN-6 Schmidt Newtonian, but it isn't showing yet (or has that feature been switched off).

Sorry about that. I periodically check the database for new entries but confess it has been a while since I last looked. I’ll find some time to review it next week.

Meanwhile you can of course enter your scopes stats manually to check suitability. 

Steve 

I use a TS Optics 80mm guide scope and ASI120mm camera combo which I switch between scopes. For the f2 RASA I get 1:1.104 ratio, with the Altair 115 EDT APO I get 1:2.04 and the little William ZS 73 +ASI294MC pro and 9x 50mm guider (ASI120mm camera) I get 1:2.06

Great little prog.

Edited by fwm891
text added

My current guidescope is a 50mm 183mm f/l coated achro lens from Astromedia, in an aluminium body with coarse length adjustment, with a cheap eBay helical focuser, and the lens cell, dewshield and mounting block off a £7 eBay scope.

Gives me a 3:1 ratio and as mentioned above I can guide at 0.6" rms 🙂

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

Exceptional calculator!

I have a question. I'm using an OAG and get the following results which is 1:0.81. If I put Binning to 2x2 on the guide camera I get a ratio of 1:1.62. Which would be a better, with or without binning the guide camera?

Results without guide came binning

image.png.b1c60553d9921bd01267586dbc98a64b.png

Results with guide cam binning

image.png.90c324d9de678195719f8772e690ecbc.png

20 hours ago, javaruba said:

Exceptional calculator!

I have a question. I'm using an OAG and get the following results which is 1:0.81. If I put Binning to 2x2 on the guide camera I get a ratio of 1:1.62. Which would be a better, with or without binning the guide camera?

I'd be tempted to bin, with an OAG and narrow field of view you may struggle to get something bright enough to use as a guide star.

But try both and see what works best.