Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter, april 10-2018

astroavani

7wWiK8honYCc_1824x0_R5Q5puGE.jpg

Although not as good as the last, this photo still reveals many details.
https://www.astrobin.com/full/341326/0/?nc=user
It is difficult to understand the criteria used in AstroBin, the previous photo in addition to showing more details became clearer, in compensation this was chosen "top pick" and the other not, for those who want to compare follows the previous: https://www.astrobin.com/340776/B/?nc=user
I'm not complaining, just stating something I'd like to understand!

Hello @astroavani

The detail on your images is just spectacular.  I often show people them on the laptop and point out that they are better than the photos taken by the early space probes that actually went to Jupiter !!!

A few questions if I may,

I notice you use a 290 MC.  There is such a wide variety of cameras out there, what made this one stand out as the best for you.  Is it the frame rate, pixel size etc..??

Would cooling be advantageous in any way for Planetary imaging ??  Does the high rate frame capture introduce any circuitry noise at all ?

Although a colour camera, you have  an 'L' filter.  Is this a special luminosity one ? Does this increase the contrast, or allow specific wavelengths through ??

Many thanks for any information,

Sean.

On 15/04/2018 at 19:06, Craney said:

Hello @astroavani

The detail on your images is just spectacular.  I often show people them on the laptop and point out that they are better than the photos taken by the early space probes that actually went to Jupiter !!!

A few questions if I may,

I notice you use a 290 MC.  There is such a wide variety of cameras out there, what made this one stand out as the best for you.  Is it the frame rate, pixel size etc..??

Would cooling be advantageous in any way for Planetary imaging ??  Does the high rate frame capture introduce any circuitry noise at all ?

Although a colour camera, you have  an 'L' filter.  Is this a special luminosity one ? Does this increase the contrast, or allow specific wavelengths through ??

Many thanks for any information,

Sean.

Hello, Sean!
First of all I apologize for the delay, I was traveling.
Before I had an ASI 224, I am currently using the ASI 290. By theory with my telescope (C14) it would have nothing to improve because with 224 I was already on the limit, but I think the practice often does not agree with the theory , I realized a gain in resolution with ASI 290 over 224 because its sensor has a smaller pixel size. In the other quests they are practically the same, high speed, low noise and great sensitivity, but as resolution is a fundamental factor in planetary I chose to keep it to the detriment of 224.
Most of the great planetary photographers (not me!) Prefer to use monochrome cameras, but I opted for a color one because of the particularities of my local seeing. Explaining, where do I make the images the variability of the seing is very large, varies in a matter of few minutes from good to bad easily, as monkey cameras require more capture time I believe I will hardly have a long period of stability to shoot on the 4 channels .
Already a color camera allows me to make 3 to 4 movies in the time that I would have to make a single with a mono and this increases the chance to take a 60 to 90 seconds of better seeing and thus get that photo that makes the difference.
In principle for planetary photography there is no need for cooling, catches are brief, around 90 sec which does not get too warm. I do not know from news that the high frame rate introduces noise reading, would have to search.
A colored camera should always use a filter, be it L, or even some IR. In the case of the L filter, it is automatically a UV-IR block filter, and by preventing the passage of the waves in the infrared and ultraviolet improves the quality of the image.
Already if you want to capture in specific lengths in the infrared you can for example use an IR 685 or 742 that both ASI 224 and 290 are very sensitive in that region of the spectrum.
Anyway a great camera for a fair price, thank Sam!
Best regards
Avani Soares

Archived