Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging with SW50ED Evoguide?

catburglar

Has anybody got one of these and used it to capture some DSO’s

Wondering how it compares to something like a canon 200mm L series lens. Not quite as fast, but a lot cheaper, so was thinking about giving it a go.

Not sure if there’s enough backfocus for a DSLR, and how flat (or not) is the field?

3 hours ago, catburglar said:

Has anybody got one of these and used it to capture some DSO’s

Wondering how it compares to something like a canon 200mm L series lens. Not quite as fast, but a lot cheaper, so was thinking about giving it a go.

Not sure if there’s enough backfocus for a DSLR, and how flat (or not) is the field?

I asked FLO about this. They said that they have no manufacturer specs on image circle size, so we don't know if it will accept an APS-C sized sensor. They also said it would likely not be a flat field since it is not designed for imaging per-se but to be used as a guidescope and/or rich field visual scope. They effectively said "We don't know". They did also say it is a very new product and so there have not been a lot of experiences with it.

I would buy it to try out but £150 is a lot of money for me to hedge on a bet. If it is suitable for imaging, however, I would surely buy one as it fills an important focal length hole (I have an 18-55mm, a 105mm and any telescope I buy is probably 600mm+, a 250mm would be a nice middle-ground).

That said, I'll be following this conversation to see if anyone has tested it, just in case...

If the DSLR won’t work, I was thinking about the ASI178mm- a small sensor with small pixels this would be around 2 arcsec per pixel and about 1.6 degree FoV- similar to an ED80+FR+DSLR, but much more compact.

I guess what I really need is some clear sky, so I can put the kit I already have to good use rather than keep looking at stuff to buy that will stay in it’s packaging for months on end!

8 hours ago, catburglar said:

If the DSLR won’t work, I was thinking about the ASI178mm- a small sensor with small pixels this would be around 2 arcsec per pixel and about 1.6 degree FoV- similar to an ED80+FR+DSLR, but much more compact.

I guess what I really need is some clear sky, so I can put the kit I already have to good use rather than keep looking at stuff to buy that will stay in it’s packaging for months on end!

I was thinking of that camera exactly, or a 183.....the latter might be pushing it but its not inconceivable that it might work.

17 hours ago, Adam J said:

I was thinking of that camera exactly, or a 183.....the latter might be pushing it but its not inconceivable that it might work.

So at least I’m not completely mad, or perhaps we both are! Surely it’s too much to ask for it to have a flat(ish) field over the 183’s 16mm diagonal?

16 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

I use the ASI 183......

Just a word of caution - you definately need a good USB3 connection and a large SSD drive!!!

A 30 sec full frame SER video takes almost 18Gb!!!!!!!

Not so worried about video file size- assume it’s mostly a concern for lunar/ solar imaging which isn’t rally my bag (yet).

8 hours ago, happy-kat said:

I had thought I'd read on the other thread that without the end bit a 1000d came to focus. The question remains is whether it comes to focus with a prism diagonal (it didn't with another type).

This sounds promising......but at this rate it’ll be autumn before the clouds clear and there’s an opportunity for some brave ‘early adopter’ to ry it out before we all join in the fun.

1 minute ago, happy-kat said:

I had already ordered one. Just waiting for the next shipment.

Please post results when you test it! :) Whether it's focusing on a distant chimney pot or at some stars I'm really interested to hear what it's like.

Archived