Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion Optics UK OD350 14" Dob with StellarCAT & Argo Navis

Thanks for that John. I was looking around for similar pictures last night but wasn't successful. It looks similar to a Skywatcher but the altitude bearings are a little different - as you know, the Skywatcher bearings are just 2 pegs on the inside of the mount sides. It looks like the GSO bearings are actually in the semi-circular cut-out of the base sides. I may be missing the obvious and could be mistaken but I think fitting the altitude link arm assembly to a Skywatcher mount might be more difficult.

I was reading up on StellarCAT's site and they supply an optional beefier solid wood groundboard complete with feet, teflon, steel post and bronze bearing so maybe some sort of modification to the altitude bearings might be possible.

I think I'll leave things as they are for now and stick with my original plan of a push to system. If and when I get the chance to use the 'scope some more and decide to take the plunge I'll probably have to contact StellarCAT for advice.

Ian

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
Hi John, I have an Orion Optics 10" and I'm looking to buy Astro devices Nexus. Can you tell me how you attached the encoder to the base of your mount and where you sourced the parts to mount it.

I used StellarCAT parts. I fitted one of their bronze bushings with a stainless centre post that the encoder fits into. A plate on the bottom of the centre post fastens onto the underside of the ground board. The hardest part is enlarging the existing centre hole in the OO base to precisely 1 inch for the bushing.

BTW I no longer use the DSCs as I found the tracking built into the StellarCAT does all I want. Also a lot of other changes have been made to make the scope easier to carry and set-up. I suppose one of these days I'll have to due an update on the present set-up.

John

post-14522-133877726975_thumb.jpg

post-14522-13387772698_thumb.jpg

post-14522-133877726983_thumb.jpg

• 6 years later...

Based on this being 10 years old now back from 2008, could you offer a report on the durability of the servocat system over the years? How reliable has it been? Has it held up well for the last 10 years without a problem?

• 8 months later...

Archived