SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Galaxies and globs

Hungrymark

Nothing mega-exciting but having been after M109 for a while, I got it tonight. UMa was pretty high so it was just a question of getting Phecda out of the fov. Also, M108 and M97 again, the latter through a UHC filter, which I think allowed a hint of the eyes but wouldn't bet on it. I've heard M108 is one of the harder Messiers to see but I don't seem to ever have much of a problem with it. M101 remains my nemesis. Can't nail it down! M81 and M82 were stunning though. Best I've seen them in my short career so far. Hints of spiral structure in M81 and definite shadow areas in M82. Also NGC 3077 nearby. Great stuff.

Revisited the Leo Messiers as well, just for practise, and tried to split Izar but the seeing was atrocious (despite the transparency being pretty good) so no chance. Nice views of M13, M92 and M53 as well, as I was in the area, which I hadn't seen before (only started in December and obviously they're only just coming into view). A bit low so not much resolution (as I say, seeing was awful) but looking forward to going back when they're a little higher.

All in all, a nice little session but now my knees are strangely cold.

Great report of a very nice session. It’s great when you finally see a target that’s eluded you for awhile. I’ve been known to punch the air in excitement at finding something that has beaten me on previous sessions. That’s where I’m also glad that that astronomy is mostly done in the dark. I’m sure the neighbours think I’m a little odd. Perhaps they have a point ;) 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Great session Mark. Good to pick up 3077, your skies must be quite good.

It is so often the case that good transparency means poor seeing, and vice versa.

Yes, I'm noticing that! 

3077 was averted vision, but I left it at one point and came back half an hour later and it was still there next to the right stars so I'm claiming it!

Good stuff Mark. I too got my best ever views of m81 & m82 last night. The detail on offer within m82 was great with three clear dark areas in plain vision. 

M81 was showing an arm to the left side with some averted vision :) and the dust halo was really large compared to recent visits.

Lets hope we get out again soon (before the devils orb washes out the sky! )

Alan

6 hours ago, alanjgreen said:

Good stuff Mark. I too got my best ever views of m81 & m82 last night. The detail on offer within m82 was great with three clear dark areas in plain vision. 

M81 was showing an arm to the left side with some averted vision :) and the dust halo was really large compared to recent visits.

Lets hope we get out again soon (before the devils orb washes out the sky! )

Alan

Absolutely! Glad I wasn't the only one to get a good view of the M81 group. I think I caught some hints of arms, possibly dust lanes.

On ‎21‎-‎3‎-‎2018 at 00:11, Hungrymark said:

Skywatcher 200p dob. My first scope but I think it's going to last me a while!

Great scope Hungrymark  and nice report, I had the same struggle with M101 too. But with the SW 200p you going to find it for sure!

Archived