Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 2146 - barred spiral galaxy with supernova SN2018ZD

NGC 2146 is a barred spiral galaxy in the constellation Camelopardalis. It is approx 80000 light years across.  The dusty lanes are (just) visible in my image, lying at 45 degrees to the plane of the galaxy due to an interaction with another smaller galaxy under a billion years ago.  This interaction likely triggered high rates of star formation.

Eleven days ago a supernova was discovered by Koichi Itagaki (Japan) in NGC 2146.

I imaged this last night using my ED80, Canon 40d, 20x600s exposures.

Thanks for looking

Adam.

SN2018zd_1.jpg

Cracking image. Surface brightness for NGC 2146 is magnitude 11.43. I've seen it before from the New Forest with a 12" Dob. Can't see the C6 doing it from deepest town skies. Or maybe it can?

Good stuff Adam. I just bagged this SN tonight before the clouds came in! Your image helped me draw an "orientation sketch" prior to going out.

Its pretty easy to spot, only needed x150. Just look for the three stars in a tight line bottom left corner of galaxy. SN is brightest star up the other end, just outside the halo.

Alan

21 minutes ago, alanjgreen said:

Good stuff Adam. I just bagged this SN tonight before the clouds came in! Your image helped me draw an "orientation sketch" prior to going out.

Its pretty easy to spot, only needed x150. Just look for the three stars in a tight line bottom left corner of galaxy. SN is brightest star up the other end, just outside the halo.

Alan

That’s great Alan. We had a lovely clear night from about midnight onwards. Glad I desisted going to bed, paid the price this morning though as I was tired, and I’m only home from a work related course :happy7:long day. No more clear skies forecast for a few days.  SGL really is a great source of information.

Typical really - I spent late Jan and most of Feb imaging this galaxy, stopped a week too early. Having read this heads-up I had to just make 100% sure by checking my last sub - even though it was taken on 21-Feb!!

28 minutes ago, Chris-A said:

Typical really - I spent late Jan and most of Feb imaging this galaxy, stopped a week too early. Having read this heads-up I had to just make 100% sure by checking my last sub - even though it was taken on 21-Feb!!

Nightmare! 

On 13/03/2018 at 21:48, alanjgreen said:

Alan

Ditto for me last night Adam in less than ideal seeing with lots of passing cloud and haze. Your photo painted the picture for me with the mag 12.7 star at the tail of the nearby Y asterism (above the galaxy in your image) acting as a good comparitor star, with the SN about 1 mag fainter I think. Cheers, Geof

Archived