SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What to get water jet cut or laser engraved/cut?

tooth_dr

I have a full day to use the above machines, and a friend doing the cad drawings for me, though a business initiative in the local college.

Ive a pier mountIng to cut and I want to make a Bhatinov mask for my 300pds. 

Has anyone any other suggestions to make, things that you find useful that can be custom made, or links to places to look for ideas. I’m terrible at thinking of things until I encounter them and then I don’t write it down so forget!

Drawings of my pier plates below.

Thanks in advance

Adam  

58BB8E39-1458-48D6-8E20-ED25B692B70A.png

15 minutes ago, Pig said:

How about a dual mount system for viewing solar, Ha & white light simultaneously!

I've got a small 60mm mak which I was planning on using with my Ha scope, but I already have a rig for it pretty much sorted!

Since putting in my pier, I missed the tray on normal tripods for eyepieces etc, so i would include one made of plastic or similar.  I cut a circular one out of wood in two halves to fit around the three rods going into the concrete, (to be fitted after construction), its only a 'rough out'  but it works great.  it's not concentric with the pier, as i wanted more clearance on the telescope side.  

HTH

Mike

11 minutes ago, mikeyj1 said:

Since putting in my pier, I missed the tray on normal tripods for eyepieces etc, so i would include one made of plastic or similar.  I cut a circular one out of wood in two halves to fit around the three rods going into the concrete, (to be fitted after construction), its only a 'rough out'  but it works great.  it's not concentric with the pier, as i wanted more clearance on the telescope side.  

HTH

Mike

Great idea Mike, because my previous pier plate was larger and sqaure and I often set EPs, and even my glasses on this.

How about a nice customized accessory tray out of thin aluminum or the likes, sometimes i wish i had a decent accessory tray cut to my liking.

I notice you have a Lunt, maybe you could cut out a sun shield/visor, that would sort of fit snug around your lunt, and somehow attach to the mount providing shade while viewing. 

39 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

How about a nice customized accessory tray out of thin aluminum or the likes, sometimes i wish i had a decent accessory tray cut to my liking.

I notice you have a Lunt, maybe you could cut out a sun shield/visor, that would sort of fit snug around your lunt, and somehow attach to the mount providing shade while viewing. 

I really like those ideas.  I could get a solar shield cut, and get engraved also with the laser machine.

Been trying different settings, on my own astro images. I covered them to 4 colour images and then greyscale and tweaked the contrast/curves.  Laser printed on wood.

This is the best so far. Recognisable as M45 M31 M101 do you think?

83F9CDCA-23FF-41A0-B256-6DFC00D12BA6.jpeg

A Bahtinov mask.

Tip: laser sounds more hi-tech than water jet, but water jet can leave a nicer finish although it may taper more on a deep cut.

Laser can leave the cut edges very hard, this can make finishing by doing things like tapping holes more difficult than you expect.

26 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

A Bahtinov mask.

Tip: laser sounds more hi-tech than water jet, but water jet can leave a nicer finish although it may taper more on a deep cut.

Laser can leave the cut edges very hard, this can make finishing by doing things like tapping holes more difficult than you expect.

Cheers! I definitely need a second mask of my other ED80, and i will cut a big one for my 300pds. 

I’m heading down this Wed so need to find the STL files and decide what I need before them. 

Thanks for your input and advice regarding the differences 

19 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Not fair!

The BM was my idea so where's my free one :embarassed:

Seriously, I bet you are a bit chuffed with those!

LOL!  I've actually made up a few duplicates of the smaller masks, as I planned on putting them up for grabs for some members on here, you have first dips on one if its any good to you!

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

LOL!  I've actually made up a few duplicates of the smaller masks, as I planned on putting them up for grabs for some members on here, you have first dips on one if its any good to you!

Actually I have a box with 3D printed ones for all my copes and lenses, so thanks but let others benefit :icon_biggrin:

Archived