Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

m46

11 hours ago, nightfisher said:

is that with the NT150L

It could have been -same focal length- but it would have taken longer. Just amazed how just 3 minutes can bring this. I'm sure it's not just the bigger diameter...

10 hours ago, laser_jock99 said:

scope/camera used?

700d on 254mm f4.7 from this project.

An element of luck and good seeing?

50 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

NGC 2438 (the planetary nebula) makes what would otherwise be an average open cluster

+1. There seems to be a difference of opinion as to whether it's part of the cluster. Wouldn't the cluster stars have pulled all the gas away from it if it were?

Cheers

1 hour ago, alacant said:

There seems to be a difference of opinion as to whether it's part of the cluster.

Using the latest data I can find (feel free to add any more uptodate references):
Sampdro et al (2017) gives the distance to M46 as 1510pc & Stanghellini et al (2008) gives the distance to NGC 2438 as 1215pc. This would put the cluster about 25% further away.

6 minutes ago, Ben the Ignorant said:

Blue stars!

As I think they should be. A quick check of B-V values and spectral classes show this cluster to be very rich in hot stars and the image does contain many fainter red stars as well so the colour balance may well be right. If indeed the cluster is largely made of hot young stars it fits that a PN not be a part of it since it wouldn't be created before the higher mass stars had done even more exciting things!

Olly

1 hour ago, alacant said:

LOL. Yeah, the less effort I make, the bluer they get!

Don't beat yourself up. The blue stars are clearly the cluster stars in this image. There are plenty of red field stars.

https://www.google.fr/search?q=messier+46&rlz=1C1CHFX_enFR777FR777&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwirtt_BkufZAhVHW8AKHQ_DAhsQ_AUICigB&biw=1097&bih=556#imgdii=LEx21_7f_hBbVM:&imgrc=TkYTjTDCYnoOcM:

Archived