NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Camera Only Astrophotography

I'm a professional commercial photographer with a strong interest in astronomy and would like to take a shot at astrophotography. 

At my disposal are Nikon full frame bodies and f/2.8 lenses of various focal lengths. 

1 - Am I able to use only my camera/lenses without the need to invest in a telescope?

2 - Considering Earth's rotation, are there are motor drives available that I can attach to my tripod that will accept my camera?

Any other suggestions, observations welcome...

Thank You,

Marty

The answer to you questions are yes.

For the second question a good starting point is the Skywatcher Star Adventurer.  Lot's of info in the forums here.

Enjoy learning and have fun.

There are alot of different options for dslr only imaging. I use a samyang 14mm with my canon 6d on a fixed tripod for milky way imaging. For deep sky imaging I use a samyang 135mm lens on the same camera but have a skywatcher star adventurer to track the stars and counter the earth's rotation.

My next door neighbour asked me the same question recently, he's also a keen photographer and wants to have a go at some astrophotography. He has a decent set of lenses and a decent Canon camera.

I advise he get hold of a Skywatcher Star Adventurer https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-star-adventurer/skywatcher-star-adventurer-astronomy-bundle.html

Its not to expensive and some of the images I've seen posted here are rather good...

Steve

The very quick answer to both questions is yes.

Just before you read up on too many answers can I suggest you head over to - https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/38-imaging-widefield-special-events-and-comets/  

And - https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/234-imaging-challenge-8-widefield-now-closed/

That will give you an idea of what people here are up to.

Dave.

Wow. As I write there are loads of answers appearing ! I type way too slowly :)

Thumbs up for the EQ3-2. I started in DSLR-only astrophotography with one of those, you just need an RA motor to go with it. You could then also use the EQ3-2 for visual astronomy if you got yourself a telescope too. Good luck!

Celestron LCM mounts are an often overlooked resource for shorter focal length AP. Not much bigger than a tracker, costs next to nothing, has tracking and goto. With a load capacity of around 5lbs, an MTO 500/8 is probably about the heaviest/longest lens one should put on it.

Archived