Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TAK + Nagler Zoom + VIP

Pig

I cannot believe how well the Tak handles lunar magnification, I have the Zoom sat in the VIP at the VIP’s highest configuration which I believe is 2.3X and I can zoom in the whole range of the zooms travel without the view over darkening or becoming over focussed, this is mathematically such a crazy amount of magnification I am embarrassed to post any figure for fear of ridicule...... help........

The lunar X along with many other features look huge, I haven’t seen views like this since owning the 9.25 SCT so can someone please explain to me how can 4 inches equal or even better a 9.25” ? ????

I was also observing the Moon tonight and pushed up to ~250x although far more magnification was possible. Just felt a bit lazy :) .

The VIP with the two 15mm spacers and reducer is 2x (unless you added other spacers). So you used a pseudo 1.5mm eyepiece! :)

Congratulations! Yes, the Moon allows that with the Tak. I've used my HR 2.4mm + VIP 1.5x (~1.6mm f.l.) or + Zeiss barlow 2x (and much higher x) (~<1.2mm f.l.). When the seeing is steady, I've found that the view of the Moon and white light solar are still rather good up to a pseudo 1.2mm eyepiece. I magnified more than that, but the view became progressively softer and floaters came in. 

4 hours ago, Piero said:

I was also observing the Moon tonight and pushed up to ~250x although far more magnification was possible. Just felt a bit lazy :) .

The VIP with the two 15mm spacers and reducer is 2x (unless you added other spacers). So you used a pseudo 1.5mm eyepiece! :)

Congratulations! Yes, the Moon allows that with the Tak. I've used my HR 2.4mm + VIP 1.5x (~1.6mm f.l.) or + Zeiss barlow 2x (and much higher x) (~<1.2mm f.l.). When the seeing is steady, I've found that the view of the Moon and white light solar are still rather good up to a pseudo 1.2mm eyepiece. I magnified more than that, but the view became progressively softer and floaters came in. 

I used the VIP as it comes from Baader and there are a couple of small spacers inbetween the main body spacers, I started off with just the individual parts and kept building expecting at some point to overdo it but it didn’t happen !!!  ?

3 hours ago, Stu said:

They are alright these scopes, aren't they? ;) 

They certainly are Stu ? I might get another and dual mount them ?

I guess their must be some correlation between movements of stars, ie is ther  information available to allow tracking of different pairs of targets... ie have a dual mount pointing at two different targets and then slew to other another pair that will be in the FOV using ” goto” , , of course it would have to be using fairly high power eyepieces around 80 x ? maybe even double tracking of double stars ? 

Another fantastic clear night again, and I would go as far as to say it is even colder than it was on Thursday. As a result I could only manage an hour and 30 minutes before coming in for the night. I have to say though there are some wonderful views of the termination around Sinus Iridum tonight and it’s outer wall is just floating in the blackness of space.

Once again I had the same results with the Tak, Nagler Zoom and the VIP Barlow tonight and achieved some crazy magnifications.

I must say the AZ Pro mount also performs brilliantly with only a very slight adjustment required to the custom tracking rate to keep the target dead centred, even at such high magnifications ?

Well Shaun Tak have always had a fine reputation for quality optics so I am not surprised by what you say. My 115mm is always stunning on the moon and is of a similar quality though not a Tak. Not that I have used any but i wonder what really super sharp Delites would bring to the party, 3mm 4mm now on sale, I will get some before too much longer. Only snow flakes to be seen here, lots of them.

Alan

16 minutes ago, kerrylewis said:

Well done Shaun. I've decided to give scope observing a miss in this cold weather - feeling me age! The universe will still be there when it gets bit warmer :icon_biggrin:

I don’t blame you Kerry, I just had to repeat the results from Thursday to prove to myself I wasn’t imagining it. I am now tucked up between the sheets ready for a nice few  ?

8 minutes ago, alan potts said:

Well Shaun Tak have always had a fine reputation for quality optics so I am not surprised by what you say. My 115mm is always stunning on the moon and is of a similar quality though not a Tak. Not that I have used any but i wonder what really super sharp Delites would bring to the party, 3mm 4mm now on sale, I will get some before too much longer. Only snow flakes to be seen here, lots of them.

Alan

Thank you Alan, the scope sure has exceeded my expectations, especially so given my proximity to the town. a dark site surely beckons ? but it is cold enough in the garden let alone in the middle of nowhere so darker skies will have to wait for the time being ❄️

8 hours ago, Pig said:

I don’t blame you Kerry, I just had to repeat the results from Thursday to prove to myself I wasn’t imagining it. I am now tucked up between the sheets ready for a nice few  ?

Thank you Alan, the scope sure has exceeded my expectations, especially so given my proximity to the town. a dark site surely beckons ? but it is cold enough in the garden let alone in the middle of nowhere so darker skies will have to wait for the time being ❄️

Yes it seems everywhere, we have minus 8 this morning and snow, it will be colder as the day goes on I am told, wonderful.

Alan

Archived