Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Scope, Same EPs

Littleguy80

With the impending arrival of a 10" Dob, I decided to crunch the numbers on my EPs. The top set of figures is my current scope and the new scope below.

EPs.thumb.png.7f89b45c8995294adf9d5318e7349271.png

It's great news for magnification and exit pupil. TFOV does suffer a bit though. None of this is a surprise but interesting to see the actual numbers. 

I want time to properly use the scope and find out where the gaps are before I consider new EP's. My instincts are that an ES82 30mm and Lunt HDC 20mm will be top of the shopping list. Although I think the SkyWatcher Myriads are optically the same as the Lunt and a bit cheaper. Of course, 2" EPs brings in the need for 2" filters. It never ends ;)

I'm also wondering about the TFOV on the orthos. I'm going to have master nudging the dob! Exciting times ahead :)

You will also need to consider the focal ratio of the new scope. If it's f4.7 then quality EPs will be needed, especially if you go to 82 or 100 degree fov.

The ES 24 will make a decent low power x50 EP.

Use the EPs you have to determine the magnification that you like best. Then trade up your favourite magnification to 82 or 100 degree fov (less nudging).

Make your first purchase to be the EP you expect to use the most. Don't spend big on an EP that you will only use occasionally, buy this one last.

Hi . And congratulations on the forthcoming scope, exiting times ahead.

I would not rush into buying new eyepieces until you have seen what your existing eyepieces can deliver. It is surprising sometimes how a eyepiece collection can be used universally  across a range of telescopes, and still provide great results.

If you are thinking of buying a particular eyepiece and have some nagging doubts,then see if someone local has something similar. And then you can try before you buy. Always the best way if possible. Good luck. 

Good times ahead, Neil!  Those TFOVs are OK for most things, but if you want to enjoy a widefield view of bright objects, you're gonna need a fast frac!!   Mine gives me over 4 degrees, although the large exit pupil incurs an effective loss of aperture.  Yes, it never ends, but what fun we have!

Doug.

1 hour ago, Littleguy80 said:

I'm going to have master nudging the dob! Exciting times ahead :)

Such a simple task, you'll have no worries.

As for the eyepieces, as long as everything is correctly setup, on axis, all your eyepieces should work just fine, its how much your prepared to worry or be concerned about the extreme edges of your views?
For visual only, I have no real concern about the edges, I just track smoothly and keep everything centred, after all, the scope will achieve its best on axis, that's the focus of attention when collimating, Just enjoy what the larger aperture provides, and if you find any real deficiencies with your eyepieces, then decide on any further upgrades. Enjoy the process.

Be interested to know which dob model and why, having gone through the same process myself.

In the end I went for a Bresser Messier 10" (F5) for its large altitude rockers. Would have preferred a plastic tube and darker colour as better for drilling holes into. Might paint it yet, white too bright.

40 minutes ago, 25585 said:

Be interested to know which dob model and why, having gone through the same process myself.

In the end I went for a Bresser Messier 10" (F5) for its large altitude rockers. Would have preferred a plastic tube and darker colour as better for drilling holes into. Might paint it yet, white too bright.

I think it was Steppenwolf former scope, a Skywatcher Ota to which he had made a custom built Dob mount for . If you wish to have a better look I think it is in the sold/expired section on the SGL website.

Looks nice to me ,with some custom mods , a decent aperture but still manageable to move around.  Hope littleguy likes it. Loads more light gathering ability over the 130mm .

Archived