Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What Is The Best Wide Angle Binoculars Under $50?

These have a 17° true field of view and are well within your budget. They are only sharp over the central 10 degrees or so (true field). Fun 4x binoculars. For some people the IPD (distance between pupils) may reach wide enough. It's just enough for me and perfect for kids. It's my constellation viewer.

I use these after reading some recommendations, I'm very happy with them:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-FBA_8-40-DPSI-Binocular/dp/B0001M3612

As ever you have to check they fit the width between your eyes. There is a 10x50 version, but I can't vouch for them as I've not used them. They also may not be wide field enough for your taste.

Hello Refractordude,

There is a trade off beween magnification and field of view. You now have recommendation for

• 17° at 4x
  • 13° at 5x
  • 8.2° at 8x
  • 6.5° at 10x

The naked eye offers the widest possible views at 1x. About how much magnification do you want?

7 hours ago, Ruud said:

Hello Refractordude,

There is a trade off beween magnification and field of view. You now have recommendation for

• 17° at 4x
  • 13° at 5x
  • 8.2° at 8x
  • 6.5° at 10x

The naked eye offers the widest possible views at 1x. About how much magnification do you want?

I am OK now, thanks. Will go with the 8x40.

• 4 weeks later...

I really like my 7*50 Bresser Hunters. They were an absolute bargain, much better than my cheap Bresser 10*50s which I paid about £14 from Lidl a few years ago. The Hunters cost me about £30 IIRC but they're such a step up in quality! (FOV 122m @1000m)

I too have some original Bresser Hunter's  7x50's, circa 1980's which still give great views, although my favourites today are my +8° Helios Nature Sport Plus 8x40's.
When I bought these from FLO (if I recall back then, they were just under the £50 GBP mark - special offer ). To-date, their just shy of £70 GBP.

Archived