Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

3rd orion attempt: Barnard's loop at last!

pipnina

Tonight the weather gave me a well-timed break! No moon & no cloud+ surprisingly good visibility makes for a very happy pip.

I re-took my flats at 800-iso (18x on a different computer screen) however they still seem to be over-compensating for the lens' vignetting. The other problem I encountered tonight was my intervalometer and camera not being as in-sync as i'd hoped, meaning I got ~54 shots instead of 80+.

Nevertheless, this is the first time I have brought out barnard's loop in an image and I think I can even see parts of background nebulosity around orion, which is also very exciting! Not sure if the loop shows up better in the first image or second (2nd I tried to bring it out with reverse tonemap & contrast boost).

Roughly 54x30s lights, 100x bias & 18 flats.

5a7793b4d4df6_Orionmk4_regular.thumb.jpg.36a8f335d2c433c29a8912a2f2535ecb.jpg

5a7793b23a1c5_Orionmk4_boosted.thumb.jpg.878ee611e161a47fb3712120302f2bc3.jpg

Tiff included as always in case anyone wants a fiddle.

Overall I'm pretty chuffed with this one, I'm hoping to add to it later (I have a method which I hope will let me frame the shot similarly next time).

Clear skies!

[bonus Sirius pic, my focusing test]

Sirius.thumb.jpg.fbdd2db399ec7dc690df3b49777facfa.jpg

Orion mk4.tiff

7 hours ago, Jannis said:

Very nice! Lots of DSOs visible in the image. :)

If it's the flats that are over-correcting, I would probably try to take new flats without using the computer screen and see how that works.

I've heard 2 pieces of paper help up to a sunlit window works? Should I try that?

6 hours ago, wxsatuser said:

A quick dabble with the tif.

Quite a bit of colour noise but you caught some good stuff.

That's a nice process! You've brought out the colour a fair bit neater than I did and brought out colour in the loop.

The colour noise might be DSS or my camera's fault, or just a need for more exposure. My camera is bottom range & 6 years old so.

5a789da6cd5ee_Orionmk4.1_boosted.thumb.jpg.c473455081848f84ad1ac54916316478.jpg

Re-took my flats, they still aren't perfect but this is definitely an improvement! Some wispy filaments seem to have appeared under the belt stars, a lot of dusty background looks to have shown up around M42 and between IC434 & the loop.

Can't wait to add more data to this... If the weather allows me :happy8:

Awesome pic but I would wait for more data before you stretch it so much. I fiddled with the tiff a bit and I think that when you focus more on the Horsehead and Orion it will look better. I reduced stars and the CA and balanced colours a bit. 

orion.jpg

Archived