Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Frustration to Elation

M Astronomy

Hello everyone, it's me again. I thought I'd do another account of my observing session, as I enjoyed writing it last time (meaning I enjoyed procrastinating writing the English essay I was suppose to be doing...). It was looking clear and I was fed up of Norman MacCaig's poetry, so I threw aside my textbook, and headed off to get the gear together. Hat, coat, another coat, gloves, socks (I finally got a warmer pair!), red head torch. Good to go. I set up the telescope - well plonked the telescope down and took off the dust cover - and got straight to it. A thin haze was settling in and I knew it wouldn't be long before I was completely clouded out. I knew what I was here to do. No fun and games. This was serious.

I've been looking for M81 and M82 for a while now. Didn't actually know what I was really looking for, just pointed the scope in the general direction and hoped for the best. Turns out that method really doesn't work. I put this down to just my scope being too small and cheap and poor quality, and accepted the fact I would need to splash some cash on a better scope to see them. But wait! Having seen a thread on here talking about M81 and M82, my hopes were rekindled. It was apparently possible to see them in binoculars, as long as the conditions and light pollution were good. John shared a very good star map (cheers John), showing how to star hop to the galaxies. Now without a working red dot finder, it was going to be difficult, I knew this. But I was determined to see the two galaxies I had been reading about and looking at pictures of for years. 

Outside, the clouds were thickening. I scanned the area with my binoculars, surprised to clearly see the signpost stars and manage to star hop to the place where they should be pretty easily. To my disappointment though, they where nowhere to be seen. Huh, well I knew this wasn't going to be easy. I pointed the telescope at Dubhe (which is much harder than it seems when you have a red dot finder that is out of alignment and out of battery) and was pleased to actually find it. Whoop whoop, pro stargazer right there. I followed the signpost stars, from 23UMa, to the little collection of stars in the shape of a triangle, across to the little line and down. This in practice took 15 minutes to actually do, as my starhopping skills are pretty poor. And.......

I didn't see anything. Little adjustment. Nothing. Ugh. I looked to the side a little. Is that what I think it is? 

My averted vision picked up a hint of grey haze across the blackness. And then another little grey haze, slightly more elongated and a little bit fainter. I could tell you I could see swirling dust lanes and stars blazing at their cores, but that would be a load of mumbo jumbo. They were beautifully inconspicuous and boring to anyone who hadn't the faintest clue what they were. But to me, they were incredible. I was so happy to have actually found something (bear in mind I am someone who has basically only seen the Orion Nebula, the Andromeda Galaxy, and the Pleiades) that I jumped up and down, almost slipped on the snow, and then had to take another look to make sure it wasn't my brain making it up. They were there, shining faintly in the haze, their light literally having travlled millions of years before entering my eyes, and it was an amazing sight. 

The clouds then rolled in and though I tried again and again to see them, the haze was far too thick. But I can't wait for a night with great visibility to see them again.

Experienced observers who say that Barnard's Loop is easy and they can see M81 and M82 with their naked eye, probably laugh at my childish enthusiasm for finding the "easiest" objects. But enthusiasm at finding the objects - whether a walk in the park or a walk in the park blindfolded at night with your hand tied behind your back- is what it's all about right? Well it is to me anyway.

Thanks for the report.  I enjoyed reading that much more than MacCaig's "Aunt Julia" - although I do remember large parts of the poem despite my schoolboy studies being almost 30 years ago!  

Like you, I nipped out to the garden this evening for a couple of hours before the haze shrouded over most of the sky and I was happy to get decent views of the Orion Nebula and the Pleiades. I think we've got too much light pollution for much more than that but I'm slowly gaining confidence with the scope so will aiming for a trip to darker skies soon.  And thanks for the reminder - I think my RDF battery will need replaced soon.

"Aunt Julia spoke gaelic, very loud and very fast..."

I could feel the anticipation building throughout that ;) nicely done!

They are not trivial to find first time, took me ages, and even then there have been times when I have tied myself in knots trying to find them high overheard in a dob (I use refractors most of the time)

Get them under better conditions, a nice dark sky and you will see them far more clearly, after all, they are only 12 million light years away!!

I really enjoyed reading your account of finding these little wonders :icon_biggrin:

Reminded me of my 1st attempts at them with my little 60mm refractor and the sheer disbelief when they eventually swam into view. Great stuff !

8 hours ago, John said:

I really enjoyed reading your account of finding these little wonders :icon_biggrin:

Reminded me of my 1st attempts at them with my little 60mm refractor and the sheer disbelief when they eventually swam into view. Great stuff !

Thanks John. Where did you get that star chart that showed how to star hop to it? 

Archived