Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hints, Tips and Trickery

Honestly..........forget the 250px Dob (at least until you get up close and personal with one and try it out for size). I can tell you now though that i doubt if it will be a runner. The eyepiece is just too high up (even for me and i am about 5ft 3in when sitting in my wheelchair. The weight also and sheer size of it will be an issue to and i dont think it will fit in your handbag.

P.S.~love your spirit and attitude towards life. 

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you :icescream:

One of my very favourite words is orenda. Inoquois of origin and it describes a mystical force that resides in each and everyone of us that helps us to effect change in our lives, the lives of others and the very world around us. My orenda, if you will, is the desire to seek enjoyment where it can be found, no matter the form in which it takes.

My medication, which is four times stronger than Morphine, prevents me from driving and I even had to undergo three driving tests, three eye tests and a full hand-eye co-ordination thingy before they even gave me a powerchair! I do have a really good friend in my photographer that willingly takes me to places in a sort of win-win scenario. I get out and about while he gets a free model to pose for shots and look fabulous for his photography business, so we're currently working out a deal in which I get rides to Kielder and Derwent here in the North-East of England and he gets to learn about astrophotography. I've bought him the book Making Every Photon Count as a present since he does much for me.

As for the handbag...

It wouldn't surprise me to find the Lindburgh baby in that thing one day.

9 minutes ago, Cinderhella said:

One of my very favourite words is orenda. Inoquois of origin and it describes a mystical force that resides in each and everyone of us that helps us to effect change in our lives, the lives of others and the very world around us.

Me, well!!!!!!!!!!! i'm just a Jedi. I even have the badge to prove it. Its a bit like a Blue Peter badge, but better.

s-l300.jpg

Jedi have a very proud orenda and a truly brave legacy! My legacy, on the other hand, is the family of Vikings that made a lovely red path as they travelled from Ireland, over to Cumbria and Carlisle before starting and finishing the Harrowing of the North many moons ago.

I'm not sorry.

So there!

I started to think about a table top scope on an easily adjusted table so that eyepiece height could be easily adjusted.  I wondered about something on a gas strutt type system and came up with something like this:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IKEA-Laptop-Tablet-Stand-SVARTASEN-Black-White-Adjustable-Height-Side-Table/272827254736?_trkparms=aid%3D555019%26algo%3DPL.BANDIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20151005190705%26meid%3D21e0832400a2463ab7fc14b56fe38e56%26pid%3D100506%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26&_trksid=p2045573.c100506.m3226

Maybe something like that with a Heritage 130P on top, perhaps held on with a couple of G clamps - it could be moved up and down and presumably spun easily.  

In terms of Flex tubes, as LukeSkywatcher says they are still some size.  I have the 200P version on a Dobsonian mount - in its collapsed form the OTA is about 1m tall, a good 8" wide and requires all of my stretch and good lift to pick it up  - I am 5'7" and not lightly built

Thinking about this, I reckon if you googled a local metal working shop and paid them a visit it would probably cost less than a typical off the shelf mount for them to fabricate something that could be bolted on to your chair with a simple tilting head attached for a pair of bino's or tube.

35 minutes ago, Cinderhella said:

Inoquois

Thanks, an interesting google followed :)

I didnt realize that Hiawatha was a real person, thought he was an invention of Longfellow. Then on to dating the confederacy, led me back via discussions of eclipses to astronomy !

A neat circle :)

A very educational place this SGL :thumbsup:

10 minutes ago, Paul67 said:

Thinking about this, I reckon if you googled a local metal working shop and paid them a visit it would probably cost less than a typical off the shelf mount for them to fabricate something that could be bolted on to your chair with a simple tilting head attached for a pair of bino's or tube.

I wonder if my builder uncle would come in useful here or if not him, then perhaps he could direct me to somebody who can be of use and who would quote me a good price. That's a fantastic idea, Paul. One that didn't so much as occur to me. Thank you!

11 minutes ago, Paul67 said:

something that could be bolted on to your chair with a simple tilting head attached for a pair of bino's or tube.

This was sort of my original thought process - I was thinking of the Vixen 80S in my signature (or it's modern equivalent). 

The ad. still with the pictures is here:  

It sits on those tiny tripod style legs and has a beautifully smooth 360 degree movement.  Again another type of scope that I think could sit on a little table - either like the gas strut one I linked to above, or maybe on a table attached to the wheelchair.

8 minutes ago, JOC said:

This was sort of my original thought process - I was thinking of the Vixen 80S in my signature (or it's modern equivalent). 

The ad. still with the pictures is here:  

It sits on those tiny tripod style legs and has a beautifully smooth 360 degree movement.  Again another type of scope that I think could sit on a little table - either like the gas strut one I linked to above, or maybe on a table attached to the wheelchair.

That would work JOC, sat on table fixed across the thighs and would be nice and simple to do I would imagine.

Or perhaps a modified version of a tray table they use in hospitals, or something of the sort. Plenty of ideas to be had and it sounds like a jolly good brainstorming session will need to be had. See what's available in the eBay mobility section and with a spot of luck, something will be easily modified to suit.

1 hour ago, Cinderhella said:

Jedi have a very proud orenda and a truly brave legacy! My legacy, on the other hand, is the family of Vikings that made a lovely red path as they travelled from Ireland, over to Cumbria and Carlisle before starting and finishing the Harrowing of the North many moons ago.

I'm not sorry.

So there!

Im a redhead and Irish..........so i have Viking blood in my veins too.

50 minutes ago, JOC said:

I started to think about a table top scope on an easily adjusted table so that eyepiece height could be easily adjusted.  I wondered about something on a gas strutt type system and came up with something like this:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IKEA-Laptop-Tablet-Stand-SVARTASEN-Black-White-Adjustable-Height-Side-Table/272827254736?_trkparms=aid%3D555019%26algo%3DPL.BANDIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20151005190705%26meid%3D21e0832400a2463ab7fc14b56fe38e56%26pid%3D100506%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26&_trksid=p2045573.c100506.m3226

Maybe something like that with a Heritage 130P on top, perhaps held on with a couple of G clamps - it could be moved up and down and presumably spun easily.  

In terms of Flex tubes, as LukeSkywatcher says they are still some size.  I have the 200P version on a Dobsonian mount - in its collapsed form the OTA is about 1m tall, a good 8" wide and requires all of my stretch and good lift to pick it up  - I am 5'7" and not lightly built

I like that side table. That could come in useful for me in my lounge when i am on the computer and having a few bevvies (not enough room on my nested tables for both laptop and bevvies. 

I will post haste be ordering one. They are quite stylish too.

I just ordered one of those laptop stand tables from Amazon. 

Why Amazon?.

My debit card is in my wallet in the kitchen and i cant be bothered to go get it. Amazon remembers me (God knows i buy enough from them) and i dont need to enter any card details. 3 clicks on the keyboard and im done shopping.

Alexa doesnt even hear me doing it.

9 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

I like that side table. That could come in useful for me in my lounge when i am on the computer and having a few bevvies (not enough room on my nested tables for both laptop and bevvies. 

I've just taken another look at that link and noticed it DOESN'T come with a gas strut as I first thought - I'll carry on looking for something that does.  I've got gas strutt bar stoools that I use for my telescope viewing and I think a table working on the same principle would be easier to adjust 

Just now, JOC said:

I've just taken another look at that link and noticed it DOESN'T come with a gas strut as I first thought - I'll carry on looking for something that does.  I've got gas strutt bar stoools that I use for my telescope viewing and I think a table working on the same principle would be easier to adjust 

No, its not a gas strutt. Nice if it was.....its a bit more drum stool than breakfast bar stool.

6 minutes ago, JOC said:

No...............sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!. That just looks like that evil robotic dog covered in fur that the US army are using. Gives me nightmares.

Joc, your excitement over gas strutts is a bit circumspect!

My granda's here and he's all "Why don't you just buy one of them telescope tube things and put it onto one of them alterations."

It took far too long to realise he meant an alt-az mount and the telescope OTA he was looking at is the Bresser Messier MC-127 Mak/Cass...

Binoculars can work, but perhaps consider a monocular - half the weight and only one eye to line up. Also something like a micro spotting scope might work handheld at low zoom, the angled eyepiece of the spotting scope can prevent neck pain. Also to consider: image stabilizing binoculars - might help with a steady image, but I have no experience of them myself.

23 minutes ago, Cinderhella said:

Joc, your excitement over gas strutts is a bit circumspect!

My granda's here and he's all "Why don't you just buy one of them telescope tube things and put it onto one of them alterations."

It took far too long to realise he meant an alt-az mount and the telescope OTA he was looking at is the Bresser Messier MC-127 Mak/Cass...

See............Alt-Az.............tried and tested. Back in the day all scopes were on Alt-Az.

Up/Down/Left/Right

Cant go wrong.

Archived