Show us your Vixen Scope or mount

Posted (edited)

My guess, educated by the information provided on this thread by Franklin, is that it's a 1999-2001 telescope. I feel privileged to have it, and consider myself its keeper: a great scope! The only weak link in the setup is the tripod. But as said, before I swap it, I think I'll try vibration suppression…

Edited by radiofm74
  • Like 1

I'm thinking of opening up a Vixen museum. If Keswick can have a pencil one, why can't I have a Vixen one, although I'd need to be careful on advertising to ensure I didn't attract the wrong sort of clientele. 

IMG_2011.thumb.JPG.2d1cc4da84ab36eadbc19772fa12f666.JPG

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know where you measure back distance from using a Vixen 0.71 reducer - is it from the end of the whole reducer or further in?  ie the top of bottom of the wider section of the reducer as pictured. Thanks!

508C7A75-25C9-47F1-A3BD-8DB994A5704E.jpeg

Vixen ED80 F9 with Skysensor 2000PC set up in Brisbane.  I went a bit over the top with future proofing the SS2K - 3 handsets, 7 MT-2 / MT-4 motors and 4 cable sets. 

1F3F4E88-C285-4213-AE97-BC1946424508_1_105_c.jpeg.9a858002269e53ee63346a2056160034.jpeg

Edited by Brisdob
  • Like 8

18 hours ago, woldsman said:

Does anyone know where you measure back distance from using a Vixen 0.71 reducer - is it from the end of the whole reducer or further in?  ie the top of bottom of the wider section of the reducer as pictured. Thanks!

Which reducer is that? For the VC200?

I've asked Vixen about the backspacing of my reducer HD (for my refractors) and Corrector PH (for my R200SS) and both times it's taken from the outermost point, so I imagine it's the same here.

8 minutes ago, osbourne one-nil said:

Which reducer is that? For the VC200?

I've asked Vixen about the backspacing of my reducer HD (for my refractors) and Corrector PH (for my R200SS) and both times it's taken from the outermost point, so I imagine it's the same here.

Thanks for responding. Yes, reducer is for the VC200L. Will text spacing from the outermost point as you suggest.

I did a daytime focus text. With the reducer and 63.5mm back distance, focus was achieved ra king the focuser out to 66.5mm. This is very close to the maximum focus travel. I’m wondering, therefore, whether the correct measurement distance is from the glass in the reducer which would be at the start of the large outer milled section. I guess only a night time test and sample images will tell.

Could it be something as simple as you one of these? I use it when I'm using my flattener without the reducer but there's no flattener involved in your setup? 

IMG_3433.JPG

Is it meant to be paired with anything? 

Edited by osbourne one-nil

18 hours ago, Cleetus said:

Vixen on White Star pier.

SXP2a.jpg

Just like mine! Tell me, is your RA axis pretty stiff but Dec axis completely free too? I think it's just a characteristic, but always good to ask. 

On 17/07/2024 at 09:39, osbourne one-nil said:

Could it be something as simple as you one of these? I use it when I'm using my flattener without the reducer but there's no flattener involved in your setup? 

IMG_3433.JPG

Is it meant to be paired with anything? 

Since posting, I spotted some unusual spacers advertised on eBay. The threads are 60mm. I have the spacer you picture but it is 66mm long. It works with a 2” diagonal at native focal length. The 3 spacers are 14mm & 28mm. In a daytime focus test with the reducer, focus is achieved racking about half way allowing 63.5mm back distance from the end of the reducer. I was pleased to source these spacers as the 66mm is the only one I could find advertised with a M60 thread. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, osbourne one-nil said:

Just like mine! Tell me, is your RA axis pretty stiff but Dec axis completely free too? I think it's just a characteristic, but always good to ask. 

Yes. When balanced properly the Dec can swing from one side to the other with a simple finger push, whereas, the RA needs pushing all the way. I wouldn't describe it as stiff but certainly not as free as the Dec.

The Tak puck is causing me some concern though as I'm paranoid about the tube slipping down. I'm sure it is safe but was going to ask what others used in this situation. Maybe something with a double clamp? Don't want to remove the fixed dovetail as it involves removing the mirror first. So that rules out any rings.

IT'S ALIVE!

I bought this SX2 mount untested at auction. I knew it had no Starbook controller but it looked complete otherwise. Anyway, powered-up with my existing Starbook One controller and it seems to work fine. Obviously no goto functionality, but that's not how I'll be using it usually, anyway.

PXL_20240723_195537513.thumb.jpg.53acf93a95f0987f00d764d8d4fb1057.jpg

So with my recent (used) purchases of the above tripod and half-pillar, I'm ready to go.

But not tonight, though! 

image.png.59fa4ef80d60001ee59aeacd70369966.png

• Like 12

One thing I would urge you to consider is the addition of the Vixen tray for that tripod. It seems to make the whole rig somewhat more robust and it's useful for the odd eyepiece or two. For Vixen, the tray is cheap as chips. Why not an SB10 for only £900!!!!

2 hours ago, Cleetus said:

One thing I would urge you to consider is the addition of the Vixen tray for that tripod. It seems to make the whole rig somewhat more robust and it's useful for the odd eyepiece or two. For Vixen, the tray is cheap as chips. Why not an SB10 for only £900!!!!

Cheers. 

I have the triangular tray. 2, in fact. Black and white. I think the white will match best!

I'll probably go with the wireless adapter rather than laying down more for the SB10 than I paid for the mount, pillar and tripod combined!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pixies said:

Cheers. 

I have the triangular tray. 2, in fact. Black and white. I think the white will match best!

I'll probably go with the wireless adapter rather than laying down more for the SB10 than I paid for the mount, pillar and tripod combined!

Would be interesting to know if the Vixen Wi-Fi adapter works in combination with the Starbook-ONE. I suspect not as both would need to be plugged into the same socket? However, it would be good to have a physical control with haptic buttons rather then only relying on a phone or pad…

1 hour ago, Froeng said:

Would be interesting to know if the Vixen Wi-Fi adapter works in combination with the Starbook-ONE. I suspect not as both would need to be plugged into the same socket? However, it would be good to have a physical control with haptic buttons rather then only relying on a phone or pad…

I can't see how, as there is only one socket to attach it. 

If I was going to be using the WiFi and app, it'll be for future astrophotography, so I won't be bothered about using an app

• Thanks 1

Mini Porta for grab and go.

Please excuse the sceptic green :laugh2:

D5H_16492048.thumb.jpg.7a27b4a08a9ab946841f68a6960ec6cc.jpg

Found a replacement slow motion cable lying around, but, need to solve this problem!
D5H_16501200.jpg.57b3584973d48eb53c688e001c5d6773.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Mr Spock said:

Mini Porta for grab and go.

Please excuse the sceptic green :laugh2:

D5H_16492048.thumb.jpg.7a27b4a08a9ab946841f68a6960ec6cc.jpg

Found a replacement slow motion cable lying around, but, need to solve this problem!
D5H_16501200.jpg.57b3584973d48eb53c688e001c5d6773.jpg

I have the same problem trying to add a long slomo cable to a Vixen APZ.

Replacing the knurled screw with a grub screw would do it. Or 'adjusting' it with a Dremel!