Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

1991/2 Astro Physics 130 EDT Starfire - A Bargain!

A  1991/2 Astro Physics 130 EDT Starfire is available below at what looks like a bargain price.  The mount looks as if it was modified by Rob Miller who ran Astro Promotions along with Peter Drew  so it should be very sturdy.

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=133209

If I had any spare funds I'd be sorely tempted - and wouldn't be sharing this information with you lot :laughing4:

I'd appreciate it if someone buys it who lives in West Yorkshire so I can come and play with it :smile:.

Was this scope a doublet or triplet? There seems a bit of a lack of clarity on the net about various versions of the Starfire, EDT, F6, F8.35 etc?

Certainly an interesting scope, and having owned a 1991 D&G 5" F15, I know that an old scope can still be a wonderful scope☺.

I wonder how this one would compare to a modern equivalent?

There does seem to be a bit of "hysteria" when an AP appears for sale, maybe as they are as rare as hens teeth over here, but this does sound like a genuinely interesting scope. I don't think I'll be swapping my 1999 FS128 for it though?.

It would be great if an SGLer could acquire it and put it through its paces..

Dave

4 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Was this scope a doublet or triplet? There seems a bit of a lack of clarity on the net about various versions of the Starfire, EDT, F6, F8.35 etc?

I assumed that an EDT was a triplet, but we know what assuming does don't we!!! ;) 

If I'd not bought my TMB/LZOS 130mm F/9.2 last year this would be the sort of scope I'd be interested in :smiley:

The Rob Miller modded GP mount itself is very interesting :smiley:

I believe Rob went over to the USA to do some work with AP a few years back. He is still there as far as I know.

1 hour ago, Jeff Marsden said:

This account by Thomas Back is interesting re AP lens history.

http://www.csun.edu/~rprovin/tmb/tmb1.html

Jeff

Fascinating, just fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

I remember my D&G 5" F15 achromat came with a nice single speed Astro Physics 2.7" focuser, which I updated with a Moonlite dual speed. The original one worked fine though, even though about 23 years..

Looks as if the UKABS  scope has gone now☺..

Dave

Archived