NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skyliner Tight Fit?

A few days off, it's quite mild, in-fact its very mild outside, but no Stars visible :hmh: though I  can just make out the Moon tonight, its got a big halo, visible through the  cloud layer, but nothing to get worked up about, but I would like to set the scope up!

But Nah!, its not going to happen, although a little cloud does make for a good filter on the odd occasion, keeping the brightness level down, so what else can I do? 

I know, strip the scope down and see If I can wrap a Fiat 500 around it? 
So for anyone contemplating how they could fit that BIG fat 8" Dobsonian into their small(ish) car, here's the proof, with the scope across the back seat, the base unit on the front seat (not shown)  and everything else in the boot, it really does fit inside a small(ish) car. I also use two old cot mattresses and a duvet to add cushioning  to the OTA (not shown). 

HTH.

IMG_2532.JPG

Like the thread.

Why solid tube? My 10” FlexTube with an AstroZap light shroud is great. IMHO Solid tubes are a big fat (long) pain in the.....

Paul

PS. With SW it may be the mount that is the limiting factor, not the tube.

My 8" Skyliner was a tight fit in our Suzuki Splash with the stock base, but is a comfortable fit now I have an Orion Dob Base.  I can even take a passenger an another visual setup now.

However, my 12" F/6 solid tube Dark Star dob wouldn't even fit into the flatbed of my work truck, a Nissan Navara, as it' so long.

Thinking about turning the dark star dob into a split tube aka @Moonshane or maybe a truss tube to make it more easily transportable.

Archived