SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astro resolution for 2018 (and a happy new year!)

Knighty2112

My Astro resolution for 2018 is to start in earnest with double/multiple star observations. I did buy late November last year  ‘The Cambridge Double Star Atlas’, and although I did use it to note a few double stars I never did so in any great way. So to bolster that I have also just got a copy of Sissy Hass’ book ‘Double Stars for Small Telescopes’. So between both books there are over 4,600 (some of which will be in both listings in each book I am sure, so the actual figure will be lower I’m sure), but that’s plenty to go on with for a while methinks! ;)

Also got a list of 100 doubles from somewhere off ‘tinternet, with a report sheet to fill in too. From an American club (sorry, can’t remember what their name was alas, so apologise to them! ) that gives an award to complete the 100 doubles listed, but only given out to members in the US of A, so no luck for the rest of the world accept the knowledge that you had completed the list.

As double stars don’t need great transparency to view, and normal seeing is good enough for all but the tightest of doubles, then on most clear nights I should be able to hopefully tag some new ones in every viewing session. I plan to work on specific constellations at a time, and ones that are also in favourable viewing from my garden. I also plan to start drawing some of the double stars seen too. My main scope of choice will be my C8 SCT on my SE goto mount, but I will also use my Omni 120 f8.3 ‘frac if required for any of the tighter doubles, which will be mounted on my Skytee 2 mount.

Now all I need for 2018 too are some nice clear skies to do this all with! Fingers crossed!

Wishing all on SGL a happy new year, and an awesome 2018 filled with many clear nights! :) 

A1009617-A899-4002-A6C5-DCD81D831883.thumb.jpeg.124e3b1c685765aa8ccee7f9264f9b10.jpeg80579817-416E-45F1-9ECD-E7F1ABA278E2.thumb.png.e53f961f4f1d6a124e90397e4604ab09.pngD355185A-ECE6-4550-9C81-84EEA68D7FC7.thumb.png.c99750d5c863954836e77547956cb82e.png505FDEA4-FEE5-44BD-8CB8-97D3B3544F34.thumb.png.9d4f00f4bc87fd88639b996f77ed8546.png

My first resolution ought to be to start selling some kit. I've only ever bought stuff until now and need to thin out the things I use least.

Observing wise I aim to continue refining my set ups to make it as easy as possible to get out and observe whenever the opportunities arise.

My last resolution is to try to get out to group observing meets more often. I know the meeting plans of a number of clubs but with the weather and other commitments I've only ever been to a couple of meets in over 2 years of trying.

4 minutes ago, Paz said:

My first resolution ought to be to start selling some kit. I've only ever bought stuff until now and need to thin out the things I use least.

Observing wise I aim to continue refining my set ups to make it as easy as possible to get out and observe whenever the opportunities arise.

My last resolution is to try to get out to group observing meets more often. I know the meeting plans of a number of clubs but with the weather and other commitments I've only ever been to a couple of meets in over 2 years of trying.

Yep, we all go through the process of just buy, buy, buy, and then later on rationalise it down to a more manageable level. At one point last year I had 8 different scopes. Now I’ve whittled it down to half that, and slimmed other things down too. 

8 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Gus good luck with the double star observing. I use the same books and I usually decide on one constellation and 'ring' the particular double star with a pencil to easily find it in the Cambridge atlas.

Best wishes for good observing in 2018.

Cheers Mark. Have a great new year mate! :) 

The main resolution I'm making is to do more visual in addition to imaging.

I've already got my underused 180 Mak back on the HEQ5, and added a 38mm Panoptic as a "finder" EP. At some point I'll get some good med - high power EP, also for the Meg90 for WL solar.

1 minute ago, DaveS said:

The main resolution I'm making is to do more visual in addition to imaging.

I've already got my underused 180 Mak back on the HEQ5, and added a 38mm Panoptic as a "finder" EP. At some point I'll get some good med - high power EP, also for the Meg90 for WL solar.

Hope you get some great views in your scope in the new year! Cheers! :) 

So much to consider..

Kit wise...  like the look of these Quarks...

like the look of a cooled OSC as well   ...

oh..... and maybe sell something... last count, I had 7 finders..

Project wise....   get the pier sorted

more remote control and less wires

Imaging ..... like to get a good shot of Barnards Loop 

pick off the galaxies / smaller DSO's

the best meteor/fireball shot in the world (ever)!!

.... plus about 500 other things.   All the best to everybody on here, here's hoping 2018 is a good one.

Sean.

Thanks Gus.

I started out visual before being seduced by the Dark Side of imaging. Getting back to some visual will give me a balance.

Imaging will still be a major part of my astronomy as it can show me things I couldn't possibly see, and provide a record that I couldn't, given my pathetic drawing non-skills, but putting eye to eye-piece will be a more immediate experience.

On 29/12/2017 at 22:14, DaveS said:

The main resolution I'm making is to do more visual in addition to imaging

Some "proper astronomy" for 2018!! 

Only joking??. Enjoy that big Mak, should be great on doubles when fully cooled.

Dave

And here we are, the Mak on the HEQ5 in front of the 130 f/7 & 80f/4.4 on the DDM60

20180101_154141.thumb.jpg.0914c15f33b8e561ef47ab80498ebddf.jpg

The Mak / HEQ5 still needs to be polar aligned as I've only just moved it back down the garden from the end patio. Now I'll be able to get my visual eye back in while the subs download.

As there are storm chasers, perhaps I should become a clear dark sky chaser.

Anyway, weather permitting, I want to see more globulars afa dsos go. Then next Mars, which has fascinated me ever since I saw its polar cap for the first time, and the dark areas. Beyond those, just to see what can be seen and luxuriate immersively, how I first started. 

Having just started last August, I finally got all of my equipment acquired and sorted and in the process saw a low of the high points of the sky.  However, I realized that double stars have been a highly satisfying side of the hobby that I had pretty much neglected (especially as they can be seen with less than ideal skies).  I have compiled a short list to get me going, but I really like your plan with the books and going by constellations.  Great way to go into the new year.

Archived