Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Strathspey 25x100's.

johnbaz

Hi all

There was a set of these on Shpock for £100, I sent a cheeky £75 off and it was accepted!!

I can seem to find a heck of a lot about them, I do know i'll need a pretty strong tripod for them and am hoping to make a parallelagram fitting and iron lifting weights for a counter balance!!

I think i'll be getting a bargain but if not, It won't be the first time i've bought a Sows ear instead of a silk purse!! :icon_biggrin:

Has anyone ever used this model?

I read a review online that says they're 45° bins, I presume that means that the eye bells are set at the 45°, These obviously don't looking at the sellers pic, Maybe they did more than one version!!

EDIT- Just googled 'Strathspey 100mm 45 degree binoculars', The 45° ones are completely different!!

Cheers, John 

Strathspey-binocular-s-68c464eb.jpg

17 hours ago, Doug64 said:

Hi,

Have a look at this link.

http://www.strathspey.co.uk/shop/25x100.html

Doug

Hi Doug

I went today to buy them, I took a tripod and fixed them on but I don't know if it was my eyes or the binoculars but everything I looked at was double imaging, I have a few sets of bins that are the same, I read that it's the collimation that's out (Prisms out of alignment), I also have loads of bin's that are perfect for my eyes!

From there I went to try a set of Celestron 25x70's, Perfectly crisp images on those so I brought them home with me for £30, They were boxed and unused and even came with the bracket to fix them to a tripod!!

I was gutted when I couldn't use those big boys :sad2::sad2:

Here's a pic with my Nikon 8x42 Monarchs!!

ZpCaDQC.jpg

cC0pKMp.jpg

liyVGkt.jpg

These are light enough to be hand held, I found that if I hold them slightly further forward than normal, They seem to be very steady with no shake!!!

Cheers, John :hello:

The Strathspeys probably just need collimation.  An optical engineer could do it.

Some of the larger Celestron come needing Collimation from new. Give Strathspey a call, they might service them for you, John is very approachable there. I have 3 bins pairs from them, including a 16x70, and bought a 4th as a present for my brother.

On 12/31/2017 at 18:40, 25585 said:

The Strathspeys probably just need collimation.  An optical engineer could do it.

Some of the larger Celestron come needing Collimation from new. Give Strathspey a call, they might service them for you, John is very approachable there. I have 3 bins pairs from them, including a 16x70, and bought a 4th as a present for my brother.

I'm afraid I came home without them :sad2:

I bought a pair of Stratspey 20x90s second hand, they too were out of collimation, it is a simple job to correct.  Remove one of the rubber covers with the knurled grip, beneath there is a small screw, a spectacle repair screwdriver fits it nicely.  While looking through the bins at a distant object, best done during the day, slowly adjust the screw until the images merge, then replace the rubber guard with some adhesive.  It only takes a couple of minutes to fix and I love them.

When attempting to recollimate binoculars by using the small screws under the rubber armouring, it's best to look through the big ends first to see which side needs readjusting.

Do we notice that one of the eyepieces ( seen from the big end ) is seen as an ellipse rather than a circle? If so, that's the side that needs the recollimating adjustment.

It's not always the case that an ellipse is evident enough to be detected, in which case we just have to hope that the side we make an adjustment on is the right one.

Archived