Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Changes in the Used Astro Equipment Market ?

51 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Many dealers sell used kit already.

RVO were selling used at IAS as were others, so it’s here already and has been for some time...

Agreed but what prompted me to start the thread was the "wanted" advert posted on UK Astro Buy & Sell by RVO. Up until recently I think the used equipment that dealers were offering was the result of trade ins, returns and part exchanges but now they are seeking to buy used equipment and that I think is a subtle but perhaps significant change.

I do agree that used equipment offered at around 80% of the new price is significantly less attractive than the 60%-65% that we usually see on the private seller used market.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 19 December 2017 at 11:27, Alien 13 said:

Camera retailers like Wex and MPB have been doing this for years and I wouldn't buy used anywhere else...

Alan

London Camera Exchange is another. Their trade-in offers are low, but cameras, binoculars & spotting scopes are fine pre-owned. 

I have noticed some stores like Telescope House have "returned by owner" deals - those items being discounted sell fast!

I have more pre-owned than bought new eye pieces. No problems either from those sold by private sellers or ebay. 

I think the complexity & fragility of equipment being sold or sought is a general guideline. For scopes I buy new, as too much at risk. 

Accessories depends on what I'm buying. Electronics new, counterweights not. Etc. 

8 hours ago, John said:

Agreed but what prompted me to start the thread was the "wanted" advert posted on UK Astro Buy & Sell by RVO. Up until recently I think the used equipment that dealers were offering was the result of trade ins, returns and part exchanges but now they are seeking to buy used equipment and that I think is a subtle but perhaps significant change.

I do agree that used equipment offered at around 80% of the new price is significantly less attractive than the 60%-65% that we usually see on the private seller used market.

Yes, sorry I missed commenting on that. Yes a wanted add was a new direction, is this perhaps an indicator of market sluggish purchasing perhaps of new kit?

I too was contacted by 2 different suppliers on abs.. plus there's a while host of dealers that buy and sell too..one or 2 are complete @#$€&0 (€$... you can tell who they are just on the advertised price..may as well buy a new one!! I've no probs with dealers selling second hand goods but I'd rather not sell to them..

I am wondering if dealers have seen the success of sites like UK astro buy and flee bay ect and want a cut of the action.

You would think dealers would be cutting there own throats in selling used gear instead of dealing in their existing new stock. But judging by the volume of sales on the used sites. Maybe they can see a way to get a cut of this volume of sales.

Also I am not sure of the mark up on "new items" for dealers. But maybe the mark up on dealing in "used items" can be higher. Therefore per item the used item mark up could be more , therefore a more profitable margin in dealing in "used" . This would certainly explain the" wanted advert "and the enthusiast way into the used market.

44 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

I am wondering if dealers have seen the success of sites like UK astro buy and flee bay ect and want a cut of the action.

You would think dealers would be cutting there own throats in selling used gear instead of dealing in their existing new stock. But judging by the volume of sales on the used sites. Maybe they can see a way to get a cut of this volume of sales.

Also I am not sure of the mark up on "new items" for dealers. But maybe the mark up on dealing in "used items" can be higher. Therefore per item the used item mark up could be more , therefore a more profitable margin in dealing in "used" . This would certainly explain the" wanted advert "and the enthusiast way into the used market.

I don't think the margin on new sales is very high so you might be right that pre-owned might be a little more lucrative :icon_scratch:

Although there has been a slow down of late, the used astro equipment market is pretty popular and active as many of the posts on here demonstrate. Astro equipment seems to generally last quite some time and astronomers, in the main, look after their gear.

For certain types of equipment I think a dealer can add some value by having checked it out and by offering a limited warranty. The question is whether the retail price can be kept attractive enough to lure punters away from a new purchase ?

As well as the market being acitve, so are astro forums so poor purchasing experieces get around quickly :smiley:

As Douglas Adams noted:

"Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception
of bad news, which obeys its own special laws. The Hingefreel
people of Arkintoofle Minor did try to build spaceships that were