Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

new eyepiece woe

russ

My Nagler 16mm arrived this morning. I haven't seen it yet but my wife called to say it had arrived.

Unfortunately she wasn't around when they delivered, so they left a card. She expected the card to say the parcel could be collected or had been left with a neighbour. Want she didn't expect to read was the parcel had been left behind our gate. Said gate is 8ft tall and locked/bolted. So how did they put the parcel behind the gate? Easy, they lobbed it! And then it bounced nicely along the concrete floor. Now the eyepiece was protected by a jiffy bag, box and bolt case. But Emma said the eyepiece is rattling :shock: So is it damaged?? Or does the locking ring just need a tighten?

Bleddy couriers, they are a menace.

Russ

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd phone them up with a stiff word or two :smiley::bino2::p if they'd done that to me, along with a claim for a replacement, I wouldn't be happy with any eyepiece that had been tossed over an 8ft gate. I'd also take a photo of the parcel on the floor where it was found along with one of the gate and one of the card as well to substantiate any claim you make.

Hear, hear!

Couriers make me mad! :smiley: On more than one occasion we've had computer stuff left out in the rain, in full view from the road, etc. We've even had an insured delivery signed for by a 'Mr Porch' cos the delivery driver couldn't be ar$€d to visit a second time, so left it on the doorstep!

I too, would not accept something as fragile as an eyepiece having been lobbed over an 8ft fence. Complain to the retailer; they'll claim against the courier, and if everyone does this, eventually they'll start using a different courier, or the courier will get their act together. You've paid good money for it, you shouldn't have to compromise on quality of goods!

Lea

That's awful, especially for it to happen with a Nagler!

The delivery driver of course, would not have known what s/he was throwing around, but that's no excuse. The service was highly unprofessional at best. Nevertheless it perhaps demonstrates how expensive and fragile optical equipments need to be wrapped up really well to withstand the courrier challenge. Lets hope its no more than a loose barrel or locking ring.

It doesn't get much better at the retail level, they really don't give a s#17 as long as the goods are offloaded from the lorry. Size and price doesn't seem to worry them, they'll abuse Laptops just as easily as a box of cables. Oh and the face you get from them when you mention anything is classic, the 'Oh I'm sorry, I had no idea I would be delivering delicate parts to a computer/astronomy shop' face, it's such a winner for the consumer. This is probably why shipping costs so much because of the damage caused by lazy drivers. There are the odd one or 2 that have some respect but thats like 10% compared to the 90% that really couldn't care less.

Finding it impossible to work at the moment. My mind is elsewhere, just want to get home and check that eyepiece. I've had brandnew eyepieces that have rattled, so nothing out of the ordinary. Fingers crossed a little turn of the locking ring and it's all fine when i test it.

What's bugging me most is the fact i've had a sheet of teflon, 2" extender and a finder shoe delivered this week...why couldn't it have been one of those that was lobbed?

Russ

Some couriers won't give compensation for glass items, so as nobody has signed to accept delivery I'd just claim you couldn't find the parcel... a bit dishonest perhaps but one way to get compensation....you could always send them the eyepiece claiming you'd found it AFTER you got your compensation from them. No come back on the sender as it should've been signed for. As i said a bit naughty to do but might be the only way of getting your money back!! :shock: :shock:

K_K

I got incredibly lucky with my UPS driver who delivered my scope. He bought a telescope himself a few weeks previously! A lot of the acccesories I bought in the following months were also delivered by UPS and all bar one or two times were also delivered by this same guy.

He was incredibly carefull handling everything and we had great chats about the stuff I was buying. We ended up on first name terms, "What ya get this week Keith?" "Set of Hyperions eyepieces." He'd want to know all about everything I was buying, what it was for, why this one over another, should he get one for his scope etc etc.

Haven't ordered anything in about 6 months so haven't seen him in ages.

I got very lucky with being in this guys UPS coverage area.

I do feel for you Rus. That is an awful irresponsible way to treat anyones mail, whether it was marked fragile or not. I sincerely hope the end result is that it is not damaged, but merely a loose ring. Of course it would be a weighty item, being a multiple lens group EP, and impacting the ground from a height would give it a severe shock.

Damaged or not, you have to pursue this matter, and complain bitterly, and tell the beggars you are going to speak to the local press. Such despicable behaviour is not acceptable, and the public should be made aware that their goods are not safe in the hands of these people.

Ron.

Well took a look at the eyepiece and the ring at the bottom was loose. Tightened up and no rattle :smiley:

Field test tonight.

Russ

I hope all is OK Russ - the 16mm T5's are very nice eyepieces - that bottommost element is pretty exposed though - I pop the dust cap on mine as soon as it's out of the scope, just in case.

John

****Breaking News****

Nagler is 100% fit and well :smiley:

Awesome eyepiece. Tried it in the ETX and Starfinder. Simply wonderful. The Starfinder loves it.

Many many thanks for all the concerned posts. And thanks for crossing your fingers. You wouldn't believe how relieved i am. Really ruined my afternoon/evening.

Cheers

Russ

I'm really chuffed for you Rus, it must feel like a great weight has been taken off your back.

I would still lodge a damning complaint against the courier though. They need to have more respect for the goods in their care.

Ron.

Well sent the couriers an email today letting them know what i think.

But to tell the truth i'm just so happy the eyepiece is okay. Used it for 2.5 hours last night, oh what a joy. Same FOV as my Meade 4000 26mm but with decent image scale. The Double Cluster was stunning!!!! My appetite is now wetted for a twenty something Nagler. Take in the whole of M31 or M45.

What amazed me most was just how sharp the stars are, almost to the very edge. Just a small bit of coma caused by the scope. Awesome!

Russ

Archived