Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Impatience or Poor Service?

brympton

No, I was stating what it would cost you, not what it would cost OO. OO would get it cheaper yes, but they have to make a profit (hence the retail/wholesale gap). You are buying retail so the prices I mentioned to buy all the parts were retail prices too.

The point I was trying to make is that you could not put together a complete comparable scope yourself for less than the OO option - especially when the mirrors are taken into account.

Others then mentioned getting the mirrors and having an OTA assembly made - so I quoted a price that I, currently, would charge you for such an undertaking. Again, a retail price since I - like OO - have to make a living.

I also pointed out that I personally would not have to pay that price since the CNC machines at Ambermile are my toys so I get to play with them for free :smiley:

Arthur

PS - no, I would *not* actually be available to make bespoke OTA assemblies, this is just an excercise and so I am in no way looking to sneak in my *other* SGL personna!

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you could not put together a complete comparable scope yourself for less than the OO option

Agreed, but I don't want to (have a bespoke one off made) I just want what OO advertise and it appears that I might get it (fingers crossed) :smiley:

Oh for gawd's sake - that was a generic "you" rather than *you* specifically, and I suspect you knew that (and also I did not mention a one-off bespoke OTA at this point, just one with off the shelf parts). *You* (specifically) would likely not get one from me at any price...

I do hope you are happy with whichever scope you end up with, but maybe a bit more homework in the future will stop this sort of situation arising?

Arthur

*You* (specifically) would likely not get one from me at any price...

Arthur, I was very sorry to read this comment and also sorry that you feel a customer should research beyond what a company advertises before placing an order. Of the many thousands of pounds that I have spent on astronomical equipment over the years this is the first time that I have received a product that was so blatantly not as described. Fortunately and in such situations a customer is protected by the Sale of Goods act as has been mentioned previously on this thread.

Regards

Mark

True! and my *#~!!** numbers didn't come up on Euromillions so all my dreams of an observatory and pier etc etc have come to nought (again!)

Dont OO already have a certain amount of these scope already completed though like other manufacturers

agreed, but a scope delivered in one week cant be perfect. Perfection takes time and time=money

Surely like other manufacturers, OO already have a small stock at least! of what they advertise completed ready to send out?

Jeff.

I'd like to also express my thoughts that this thread has little else to run on.

The original poster expressed his dissatisfaction when he received his scope, and the manufacturer has addressed their customer's concerns accordingly (quite quickly, it seemed)...isn't this exactly what we would expect? Since then, many posters have expressed their own concern & disappointment at the manufacturers equipment, even though some appeared to not actually own any examples.

In my opinion, the treatment of this company has been excessively harsh, and it has been re-hashed numerous times. I've owned several Orion Optics reflectors in the past, and while I did not consider them perfect, I actually appreciated their individual feel.

It would now seem that the problems are being addressed to the buyers satisfaction, and until that point, I think there's little else to say.

Yes, very true. I have to say that my opinio of OO has changed since this thread started from 'I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole' to 'At leat they listen to their customers and I will be looking at them when I come to upgrade.' Some good has come of it all!

... and also sorry that you feel a customer should research beyond what a company advertises before placing an order.

You got me there Mark. I guess I really should believe everything I read (advertising-wise) then - and that I really *can* own a bit of the Moon, and have a star named after me, and lose 10 stone in a month, and have whiter teeth in a week, and, and, and... Yeah, right. Do try to live in the real world with the rest of us, you may get taken a little more seriously.

Let's start this again, for that sake of staying friendly, no? I suggest the first thing you do is listen to the people that have *had* OO scopes, and the second thing you should do is ignore the people that have *not* had them. Then take it from there.

Arthur

I'm all for staying friendly Arthur :) but you are a real git! You knew I was reffering to established maunfacturing companies not fly by night's. There are as many good reviews as bad for OO and I took a chance. Fortunately they are responding and maybe, just maybe I will be able to write a positive review. You still not going to make me an OTA if it all goes pear shaped then :crybaby:

Let's start this again, for that sake of staying friendly, no? I suggest the first thing you do is listen to the people that have *had* OO scopes, and the second thing you should do is ignore the people that have *not* had them. Then take it from there.

I'm sorry Arthur but I really don't see how having owned a particular brand of product is a pre-requisite for having valid comments/ observations on the general conduct of a company in this instance?

It's all gone a bit quiet after the flurry of emails at the weekend Ant. I know that OO have received the returned OTA and as far as I am aware things are progressing. I guess the best thing for me to do is to put the past behind me and perhaps post a review in the Equipment Reviews section once I receive the replacement. Assuming that there is some interest in the outcome :)

personal experience with the manufacturer counts for a lot. When you talk to orion you know you are talking to fine opticians...not salesmen.

I agree with arthur about listening to those with experience, and talking advice from those without experience with a pinch of salt (at least)

i have been through the longer than expected delivery time, the non perfect but still good focusser, but if I had to recommend a company for a good newt it would be orion optics without a shadow of a doubt. The best newt mirror maker in europe I suspect (lomo are russian, perhaps europe, perhaps not)

and I reiterate, we are lucky to have them in the UK

Paul

I'm sorry Arthur but I really don't see how having owned a particular brand of product is a pre-requisite for having valid comments/ observations on the general conduct of a company in this instance?

Gaz, I was suggesting that the OP goes back to do some (late) research on OO telescopes - at which point I was told that looking at a company's record is not necessary because you could simply read their advertising. So then I suggested asking people that know about the *product* (i.e. those that have or have had an OO scope) what they think about the product.

That's all... hence the "start again" suggestion. Nothing "rude" at all, remember it was me that was called a real git, which *I* call rude but have not pointed out yet, since I am still trying to figure out why!

Arthur

Archived