Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Heart Nebula (IC 1805)

Joeistotalycool

I was out last night and managed to capture 13, 10 min frames on the heart nebula in h alpha before I had to pack up (school next day) 2H10M Exposure 

Skywatcher Evostar ED80 Ds-Pro

Celestron CG5 Advanced GT

Canon 1200D astro modified DSLR 

Baader 7nm Ha filter (1.25'')

No autoguiding

blend heart neb 2.jpg

ha heart neb 1 gry.jpg

19 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Wonderful.  What sort of adapter are you using to allow the use of 1.25" filters with the DLSR?

I am the basic celestron Barlow/t adapter attached to the 2''eyepiece to 1.25'' eyepiece adapter supplied with the skywatcher evostar ED80.

4 minutes ago, Joeistotalycool said:

I am the basic celestron Barlow/t adapter attached to the 2''eyepiece to 1.25'' eyepiece adapter supplied with the skywatcher evostar ED80.

Normally you would avoid using a 1.25 inch filter with a DSLR as it will cause bad vignetting. The normal connection method is DSLR-T-Ring-2inch nose piece, then using either a clip filter or a 2 inch filter. 

2 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Normally you would avoid using a 1.25 inch filter with a DSLR as it will cause bad vignetting. The normal connection method is DSLR-T-Ring-2inch nose piece, then using either a clip filter or a 2 inch filter. 

Yea, I would have gone for 2'' but my budget unfortunately does not allow me to get them :( 

Flats seem to solve most of my problems though 

7 minutes ago, Adam J said:

41 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Wonderful.  What sort of adapter are you using to allow the use of 1.25" filters with the DLSR?

I use this one:

Image result for celestron barlow lens

It seems to work well enough and I will probably use it until I get a filter wheel. 

7 minutes ago, Joeistotalycool said:

Yea, I would have gone for 2'' but my budget unfortunately does not allow me to get them :( 

Flats seem to solve most of my problems though 

Its good to have a set of filters for when you move on from the DSLR, something I am yet to do myself due to budget considerations. Depending on the target I think you may struggle to get good SII signal but OIII should give you some data worth working with, I did find the signal OIII signal in this target very faint though when I did it with my DSLR. Had to use some very long sub lengths.  

The Barlow will reduce the vignetting by narrowing the light cone, probably why you are managing with the 1.25 inch filters. But it will greatly increase your exposure times assuming that is a 2x. 

All in all such difficulties, makes your image even more impressive though. 

3 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Its good to have a set of filters for when you move on from the DSLR, something I am yet to do myself due to budget considerations. Depending on the target I think you may struggle to get good SII signal but OIII should give you some data worth working with, I did find the signal OIII signal in this target very faint though when I did it with my DSLR. Had to use some very long sub lengths.  

OIII may not be to much of a problem for me, as I am planning on making a HaRGB composite image. I'm doing this because I have not a clue how to map colors to any false color palates on Photoshop :/ 

Archived