Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

11/28/2017 lunar activity question

confusedstargazer

Hi I'm new here.

Briefly looking through this site, it would seem this site is geared towards discussion regarding instruments. So in advance, I apologize if this is not the appropriate forum/website for my question. And. If at all possible, might anyone link me to a website that might be better suited for me. I looked on youtube, and a few other websites and nothing concrete came up as to where the appropriate place to post might be or what it was I was observing regarding moon activity on this early morning of 11/28/2017. So here I am and once again I apologize if this is the wrong forum for my question.

I'll be brief. My knowledge of astronomy is very limited. Though I've always had a passion for astronomy.

My question. What exactly was I observing in regard to the moon's orbit/position/speed in which it changed?

Now, allow me to set the stage. It was roughly 12:30AM here in North East Texas on this day of 11/28/2017. On my way to the store I stopped to take a look at the night sky as I always do. The moon was roughly at a 50 degree angle above the southern tree line. Forgive my ignorance but this is the best way I can describe what I was observing. In less than one hour the moon had radically relocated to just above the western treeline. Once I got home the moon was obviously no longer visible from this viewing point. 

I am very curious as to why the moons position changed so quickly. I've never seen this before.

Is this a common occurrence  within the moon's cycles and or time of year?

I look forward to hearing your responses. To hopefully shed light on what is seemingly a strange phenomenon to me.

Thank you in advance!

Unless the measurements were done precisely it is hard to determine the actual position in altitude and azimuth with accuracy. The moon sets in the west, and in the current phase it sets some time after midnight (was imaging it myself). The rotation of the earth didn't suddenly speed up, so I think the moon just trundled along at its usual pace in the sky. Another effect is that, just as the moon appears larger near the horizon (though not on the chip of my camera, so it is all in the mind), so too do other angles, so the apparent motion seems to be larger than when the moon is overhead

The description you give does not match with where the moon actually was for your location. I've assumed Dallas which seems NE Texas...

At 12.30am on 28th November, the Moon was only at 11 degrees above the horizon just south of West. An hour later it was on the horizon in the West.

I can only assume the timings you gave were incorrect?

IMG_4846.PNG

IMG_4847.PNG

lol thanks guys. Setting in the west sometime after midnight! interesting. So obviously nothing out of the ordinary.

At Stu lol wowzers what is all that. and fair enough. deep east texas which is still in the northern region of texas. texas is big so it has a lot of northern land mass. but to be more accurate Longview/Tyler area-ish. hwy 155 runs north and south. I was looking south, when the moon was in view at my house. after i killed some time at the gas station on hwy 80 that runs east and west. the moon was just above the western treeline. this all happened rather quickly to me. but kudos to all the replies

Archived