Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

OIII or H Beta filter?

StargeezerTim

The problem with the Ha iis while it's a brighter image in it's bandwidth, it's also quite narrow. The OIII - usually - has a wider field and lets more colour through. But I'd figure it really depends on what object you're imaging. These two filters will give you very different results on some images, and taking two images - one with the OIII and the other with a Ha - can be a good idea.

I'd tend to experiment,

Dave

@StargeezerTim My new Oiii filter is being delivered tomorrow.  I'm not sure which targets to go for but I was going to start with NGC7000 as I have already got some Ha data and was thinking of doing a bi-colour version.  I dont think H-b is the right choice.

36 minutes ago, parallaxerr said:

If it's your first narrowband filter for DSLR I'd have thought H Alpha would be the correct recommendation as it's a stronger emission than OIII.

Tim has some nice images with an H-alpha filter on the forum!

2 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

@StargeezerTim My new Oiii filter is being delivered tomorrow.  I'm not sure which targets to go for but I was going to start with NGC7000 as I have already got some Ha data and was thinking of doing a bi-colour version.  

It will be good to see how you get on with it. Which make and version  of the filter are you getting?

I'm hoping to get some of that nice hubble like finish combining the ha and oiii, though i havn't got a clue where to start on the processing front!

Just now, StargeezerTim said:

It will be good to see how you get on with it. Which make and version  of the filter are you getting?

I'm hoping to get some of that nice hubble like finish combining the ha and oiii, though i havn't got a clue where to start on the processing front!

Its the astronomik 12nm Oiii CCD one: http://www.astronomik.com/en/fotografische-emissionslinienfilter/schmalbandfilter-oiii-12nm/clip-filter-eos-mit-astronomik-oiii-ccd.html

I wanted the EOS insert one.  I got lucky as someone kindly responded to my Wanted ad, with a new and unused one that was surplus to their requirements!

44 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Its the astronomik 12nm Oiii CCD one: http://www.astronomik.com/en/fotografische-emissionslinienfilter/schmalbandfilter-oiii-12nm/clip-filter-eos-mit-astronomik-oiii-ccd.html

I wanted the EOS insert one.  I got lucky as someone kindly responded to my Wanted ad, with a new and unused one that was surplus to their requirements!

Thats good, I'm currently looking at an affordable option! Optolong don't do oiii clip filters but a 2" could work...

Not sure how well this article translates from visual use of filters on different DSO's, and into imaging. But it's an excellent article by David Knisely of the Prairie Astronomy Club. You might want to put a copy away for safekeeping:

Filter Performance Comparisons For Some Common Nebulae - by Dave Knisely.pdf

Have fun,

Dave

OIII is, for imaging, at its best on planetary nebulae. In a few it is particularly strong, as in the nebulae around Wolf-Rayet stars, for instance. In diffuse extended nebulae it plays second fiddle to Ha but does bring some colour variety and it can be comined both with the green and blue channels of RGB images in order to emphasise their structure. (It lies on the green-blue border so can be legitimately added to both.)

Olly

I recommend the OIII over Hbeta especially if you're intending in using it with your modded DSLR.

Hbeta is only really useful on a handful of objects for viewing... but if you get OIII than later Halpha and Sulfur II filters into your imaging arsenal, you'll be able to capture some great data and make very good looking images with your DSLR.

I think there is a relationship between Ha and Hb emissions so you can effectively simulate Hb by adding a % of the Ha image into the blue channel. But all you're actually doing is affecting the colour balance (fine for Ha into RGB but probably not what you want from a narrowband image).

Archived