Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Been Quiet on here.....

bats

Nothing planned for SWAG until the spring, but there is no reason not to have of the cuff meet until then.

Three of us were going to Fforest Fields this weekend, but unfortunately between the weather and other commitments it never happened. 

Hi Tony, shame the FForest Fields trip did not come off this time. I am going to try to get their again in December. 

As you know I went to the SGL start party campsite at Lucksall near Hereford on Thursday. I had 4 to 5 hours of clear skies for imaging on each of the 3 nights I was there. Managed to get my second complete LRGBHa image, very pleased indeed.

That's great Justyn, post the images.  I phoned Katie at Ffields to let her know and she said they'd had a brilliantly clear night on Thursday, so I would assume the weekend was good also.  

I might inquire if they rent anything over the winter, it's a pain dragging the caravan all that way for just a couple of nights.

I manage a few hours on Friday and Saturday in the obsy, mainly setting up for the winter months. Starting to to get to grips with SGP.

On 20/11/2017 at 23:00, Astralstroll said:

Hello hardy astronomers,

is anybody thinking of heading out to Blaenavon in the coming weeks and months now we have some dark skies?

Dave

I don't have anything planned as such, perhaps Mike will come up with something.

Although it's very close to the holidays, the third weekend of December looks good; weather permitting of course.  Lets tentatively figure Friday the 15th, with Saturday the 16th as an alternate. 

On a personal note:  I have been out of the loop here for awhile, and I have to say that, I've lost faith in all of the weather forecasters.  As I am quite far away (30+ miles) from the Blaenavon site, I find I can no longer rely on them to make a GO or NO-GO judgement call.  It would be great if there was someone locally who could post here what the true conditions were like on the day, in the late afternoon for our proposed Observing Meet.  For many of us, an incorrect forecast has resulted in a wasted evening, long drive, and a needless expense.  So, until someone in the area near Blaenavon can post a favourable report on the day, I think we each need research the forecast, decide if a trip to the site is worthwhile, and post our intentions for others here.  I would appreciate to hear any comments or ideas ?

So, Friday Dec. 15th.  Who's up for it ? 

I hear your cries and feel your pain Mike.  Making decisions for others has always been a thankless task, but if I remember correctly you never called it wrong.

It's great when the weather plays ball, but I have never minded just meeting up and exchanging doughnuts and Welsh cake.

I think a lot of enthusiasm has gone for the group, with very few of the old faces still contributing. :sad: 

Hi Tony,

Thanks, but yes, I have called it wrong more than a few times, and that was based on the consensus of several forecast sites. I still have enthusiasm, but have been side-tracked by life's trials and tribulations this year. Yeah, its nice just to catch every once in a while also, and hopefully we can do that in December, so I'll post the intention for an Observing Meet soon. 

I agree Mike but you can only decide something on the information available. 

I don't ever recall you making a decision without it or others observations.

Yes we have both had testing times these last 18 months, let's hope next year better for us Mike.

MIke,

I have added the 15th / 16th to my diary. Fingers crossed for some good weather. It will be good to finally get to use the scope again after what seems like an age. According to my notes, Ive not done much observing since the Brecon meet last October.

Dave

Archived