NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Seeing Double!

orion25

I never spent much time on imaging double stars other then Mizar/Alcor, so I took a "shot" at Albireo (A-amber, B-blue), one of my favorite binary systems. The jury is still out whether it is a "true" binary or an optical double. Some observations indicate different proper motions of the two stars, leading many experts to believe that it is only an optical. Albireo A (amber) itself is a double:

5a0ce6abdb970_ASTRONOMY-ALBIREO(PRIMEFOCUS)11-13-17(NOCAPTIONS).thumb.jpg.ce865f03a1a5347914f32dc48e63f68b.jpg
A single 1/2 second exposure at ISO 1600. Can you see the colors? 

Reggie

45 minutes ago, Stu said:

Lovely shot Reggie, a favourite for many of us.

Thanks, Stu. A beautiful and easy target. I've recently become infatuated with Almach which looks remarkably similar, though a tighter binary.

That pendulum has been swinging since I can remember. Last I've read - in spite of the proper-motion disparity - has it being a true-binary. But it will swing again, I'll bet. Just wait a minute*and see.

Dave

* Old adage about the weather where I live: "If you don't like the weather, just wait a minute."

That's a great capture Reggie and yes the colours are showing well.

Albireo must be one of the most observed doubles by us amateurs, many of us take every chance we can to see this beautiful object.

Thanks for posting and good luck, personally I would like to see more images of doubles in this section.

13 hours ago, Astro Imp said:

That's a great capture Reggie and yes the colours are showing well.

Albireo must be one of the most observed doubles by us amateurs, many of us take every chance we can to see this beautiful object.

Thanks for posting and good luck, personally I would like to see more images of doubles in this section.

Thanks, Alan. It's such a striking pair; I couldn't resist.

16 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

That pendulum has been swinging since I can remember. Last I've read - in spite of the proper-motion disparity - has it being a true-binary. But it will swing again, I'll bet. Just wait a minute*and see.

Dave

* Old adage about the weather where I live: "If you don't like the weather, just wait a minute."

It's funny, I would think the proper motion disparity would make it a no-brainer that it's an optical. Oh well, it's a beautiful pair anyways!

May the pendulum swing...Excelsior! :p

Reggie

15 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

Nicely captured Reggie, its been one of my favourite objects for many years! If its visible when I am out, I will always have a look at it.

Thanks, Pete. It's definitely a fave of mine, too. Almach reminds me a little of it, except it's a white and blue binary and the separation is tighter.

Archived